EF & EF-S lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF & EF-S lenses

I hope the forum members can help me. I have an excellent Canon EF 55mm-200mm USM ii lens. Is is worth my while buying an EF-S 55mm-250mm IS and sell the USM lens? I am keen on wild life photography and prefer to hand hold my camera with the shutter speed set at something like 1/250 or 1/350 depending on the maximum zoom end of my lens. Using a faster shutter speed I have some excellent photos of wild life and birds in South Africa.
    The EF-S lens appeals to me as it is lighter and the image stabilier could help the final image.

Any advice from membes will be much appreciated.

Re: EF & EF-S lenses

I cant offer any advice on the lens other than the fact that the 55-250 is does seem to get positive reviews. It no doubt will help being a little bit longer and as it's IS that will help also.
    C & C welcome on any of my images :)

Comment

Depends what camera you are putting it on...The EFs lenses are designed for cameras with a smaller sensor (1.6 crop i think). also on EFs lenses the rear element stcks out of the back of the lens and so the mirror will hit it when it lifts to open the shutter on the 1 series and 5 series.
      Craig

Comment

I have a Canon 350d with the usual 1.6 crop. I know I can use the EF 55mm-200mm USM
        with this camera but I understand that the IS lens is lighter with the image stabilier, which might be helpful with late evening and perhaps some night time photos. I have booked to go to the Oberamagau event next year and I think most of the action is in the late evening/night. Must check my blurb about this.

Comment

Hi Nathanie, did you get the EFs 55 250 lens? if so can you give a report?
          Maz

Comment

HI! Mazawwatea,

Yes, I bought the 55mm-250mm IS lens and I am very happy with it. The IS is brilliant for wild life photos & one of my pics taken at the Kruger National park was placed 7th out of 22 finalist in the Daily Telegraph weekly competition. The images too are very sharp. The extra 50mm compared with the EF 55mm-200mm is a great asset as well. It might not be as good as the L series lenses but the IS series is good enough for me.
            So go for it.

Comment

Thanks Nathanie, LCE have a show in Lincoln on Thurs 5/11, I'll pop in and see what they are offering.
              Thanks again, Maz

Comment

Can anyone advise whether or not I can use a 1.4x or 2x extension with this lens and also does it rotate when focusing which might prove a pain in the proverbial with filters?
                Another thought is whether the 70-300 IS lens is a better option and if so the above advice I'm seeking also applies I suppose.
                I have a Canon 50d so would the lens/camera combination be a good idea?
                Last edited by pipnat22; 01-11-2009, 19:00. Reason: Extra Q's

Comment

I have a 55-250 IS which I use on my 40D and it is a good little lens. It does rotate when focussing and as far as I'm aware Canon EF 1.4x & 2x extenders won't work on this lens. It may be possible an aftermarket extender might fit but I'm not sure.

Ray

Comment

It might be possible to use the 2X extender which is attached to the front of the lens- screws into the filter thread. You certainly can't use the extender which is attached to the lens mount.

Comment

Thanks for the info folks

Comment

So can anyone advise what points I need to consider if I am trying to choose either the 55-250 against the 70-300 IS lenses using them with a 50D?
                        And also what about the Sigma 70-300 OS? Can anyone say which is sharper and will the Sigma at £100 less be false economy?

Comment

Have you tried the photozone web site - it has easy to understand lens sharpness graphs.
                          It was recommended to me by a respondent on this site and saved my from buying a mediocre 28mm lens and instead I bought a 35mm f2 which compares with an L lens for sharpness despite costing only £220!
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                          X