Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon EFS 55-250mm - Which one, new or old??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EFS 55-250mm - Which one, new or old??

Hi

This is my first post (Hi All) and I am very new to DSLR photography having only owned my EOS 550d for around 6 months and I only have the 18-55mm lense out of the box.

I recently attended an experience seminars workshop to gain some basic knowledge and following this I am looking to purchase a 55-250mm lense. I have been doing my research and seen that Canon have recently relaunched the 55-250mm lense in July. I have also seen that the previous version is being sold with a considerable discounts.

My question is, should I buy the new version or should I save a few pennies and buy the previous version? Will I notice any difference at the level of photography I am at?

Any advice will be appreciated?

Thanks

Re: Canon EFS 55-250mm - Which one, new or old??

Hello Jonny and welcome to the Forum.

You are certainly exercising sound judgement to go for the 55 - 250mm. It is very well respected and performs very well, especially considering its price point. Either version will give you good results, but the MKII version did add some minor improvements.

I am always happy to save money, but I also later regret not buying the better version when I had the opportunity, so I would save some extra pennies and have the MKII version. It is a good idea to buy the lenshood at the same time. It can reduce lensflare, protect the front of the lens ........................ and it looks good!

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I'm interested in this lens (the Mk II) as a second lens when rambling (I more often than I thought need something with a lot of reach, compared to my normal rambling lens the 17-40L 'Marmite'). The 70-300L which would be a natural choice is probably too heavy (although not that large) and too expensive (?) to cart around the hills. I'd seen the Mk I at some very good prices ... but will wait for the Mk II to get it's first drop in price and then go and have a look at one. Hopefully reviews will have appeared by then as well as early adopters from here with views.

I've convinced myself the MkII will yield visually better results than the MkI ... not very scientific but ...

Comment

Colin - what were the improvements, all the early buzz I saw suggested they were mostly cosmetic?
        John

Comment

I have just purchased the Mk II 55-250 for my 50D - VERY disappointed in fact I have just returned it. The only way I can describe it is that it is "soft focus" not sharp at all. I tried it out against my Tamron 18-250 and the Tamron won hands down. Whether I was just unlucky I don't know but I would not recommend it at all.

Comment

I've had the 55-250mm EF-S IS for a couple of weeks and am very happy with it. The IS is amazing. I took a reasonably acceptable hand held shot at the 250mm setting at 1/30s.
            Miles better quality than the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens.

Comment

Originally posted by jchiltz View Post
              I have just purchased the Mk II 55-250 for my 50D - VERY disappointed in fact I have just returned it. The only way I can describe it is that it is "soft focus" not sharp at all. I tried it out against my Tamron 18-250 and the Tamron won hands down. Whether I was just unlucky I don't know but I would not recommend it at all.
              Did you try micro focus?
              ef-r

Comment

I have had the mark 1 version of this lens and it was very good. I have posted some images taken at Tatton Park and you may wish to look at the deer photos and make up your mind. The good reviews of this lens was based on the Mark 1 version and I wouldn't hesitate to go for it and save some coppers in the bargain. I now attach one photo I took with the Mark 1 version.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 29-08-2011, 13:37.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I bought this lens a couple of months ago and I am really impressed with it. The portrait shots of my family and friends on a recent visit to the Uk were stunning. Even if I do say so myself.

Sandra
                  “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                  http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X