Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Focus Calibration - help with info

Hello,

A friend of mine who llives in a different country (where there is no Canon centres) needs to calibrate a lens for focus. I offered that I can do this for him in UK.

Does Canon need both the lens and the camera or just the lens?

And what is the process of getting the calibration done?

What is the cost?

Would appreciate any info.

Denis
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Re: Lens Focus Calibration - help with info

Denis,

Suggest you give Elstree a ring

Martin

Comment

Yes; ideally the lens will be calibrated to the body, so both are required.

Canon can do the job on the lens alone (with in-house bodies), but best to have the exact set-up correctly calibrated. They will sometimes re-seat the sensor in the body as well, which can affect IQ.

As Martin suggests - call Canon Service Centre @ Elstree - 0870 241 2161. Even better (if you're local to them) - call in. I have always found them very helpful.
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Fixation, here in London, are also very good

Fixation is the professional repair workshop for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Profoto, Bowens, Nanlite, AquaTech, Tamron & Sigma photographic equipment.

Pete

Comment

Thanks, gents. Although that number for Elstree does not seem to be working. I got hold of another number for it - 0844 369 0100 where they gave me a ref number and asked to call the tel again, choosing option 1 then 3 which brings you to "RCC Cervice Centre". A sensible chap named Aaron? then explaind that there are two options:
          - send them just the lens and they will clibrate it to one of their "zeroed" bodies or
          - send both the lens and the camera and they will calibrate the lens to the body.
          in both cases the job will take abt one hour (charged at 60GBP/hr + VAT).

Thanks for your help!
          Last edited by DenisV; 17-09-2009, 16:00.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

Ah, this has provided the answer I've been looking for regarding sending a lens to be calibrated.

I've recently purchased a 5D MkII and I noticed my shots taken with my 135mm F2 were nearly all out of focus. I've had that lens for quite a few years now and I've always been decidedly underwhelmed by its performance despite it being regarded as one of Canon's finest. Now I've finally dipped my toe in the digital world, I went out and ran some test shots with all my lenses. Every one (see below) nailed the focus wide open except the 135mm. So I took a load of tests using various methods scattered across the web and noticed it was focussing in front of my subject. Now, here's why I think the micro adjustment won't solve this one. Having narrowed it down to a +8 setting, more were in focus than not, it STILL focuses in front 90% of the time. When it hits focus correctly, the thing would prick your finger it's that sharp. Now I know the contact number and cost, I can get it sorted.

EOS 5D MkII
            EF 28mm f1.8
            EF 50mm f1.8 (Mk 1)
            EF 135mm f2 L
            EF 300mm f4 L IS
            EF 24-105mm f4 L IS
            1D MkIV, 5D MkIII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II ** R6, RF 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 ** M5, EF-M 11-22mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS, EF-M 22mm f/2.0, EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS **** Speedlite 580EX II, Speedlite 430EX III-RT, Speedlite 470EX-AI, ** FD 50mm f/1.2L, FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. ASPHERICAL, FD 50-300mm f/4.5L, FL-F 300mm f/5.6, FD 300mm f/2.8L.

Comment

Have you tried to calibrate the lens yourself

Comment

I'm intrigued, can you explain how? I know that the 1D3 can do it and remember the settings for each lens, but how else can it be done?
                Regards ,
                Norman

Comment

Norman - the 5D2 has a micro adjustment feature - C.Fn III - 8. You can adjust for front/back focus for all lens's, or indivudual lens's. Suggest you read the manual before altering the settings, just to get your head around it.

HTH

Lez
                  Regards
                  Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                  7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                  24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Thanks for that. I don't have a 5D2 and hadn't seen that feature mentioned in reviews. I have a 1D2N and I knew that the 1D3 had the facility. I'm waiting for the 1D4 which, I hope, will have HD video built in and I'll get the lens calibration then.
                    Regards ,
                    Norman

Comment

Working...
                    X