Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with an EF 16-35mm 2,8L on a 1Ds MIII

Hi all,

I have been playing with the thought of purchasing the EF 16-35mm 2,8L lens to be used on a 1D FF body. (The latter information just to state that the large aperture is needed in order to activate the cross AF-sensors, which are only active on lenses with large apertures, hence suggestions for the 17-40 4,0L is not an alternative).

I have read quite a few reviews - but they seem to vary from "not really good for the price" to "fantastic".

I typically shoot landscape. Today I use the 1D Mark III but am thinking about upgrading to the new 1D X - hence the need for experience on a FF.

Does anybody have experiences with this lens on a 1Ds Mark III that they would like to share - good or bad?

Thank you very much in advance for your support.

Kind regards,

Allan

Re: Experiences with an EF 16-35mm 2,8L on a 1Ds MIII

Hi Allan,
    Sorry I cant' help with how it is on a full frame. It the best wide angle I've ever had.

I've had the 16-35 2.8 Mk2 for a couple of months - I use in on a 7D

It seems like relatively few people actually own this lens, many have an opinion based on nothing. :-)

Trev

Comment

I owned a 16 - 35mm f2.8 l and wasn't all that happy with it. I subsequently chopped it in for a 17 - 40mm f4 L which I am very pleased with.

Since then, Canon introduced the 16 - 35mm f2.8 L MKII, which I have used on two or three occassions and it is superb. Much better than the MKI and better than the 17 - 40mm f4. As I don't do a lot of landscape work, I haven't traded up. However, if I were buying from scratch, I would go for the MKII.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Hi Trev and Colin, THank you for your comments and advice.

The sain thing is probably to wait - and then rent the lens and test it out. But who likes to wait???

We actually also have the 7D in the household - and I am happy to hear that the 16-35mm 2,8L II performs well on that camera. The 7D seems to require good glass in order to show great results. Hence that speaks well for the lens.

Comment

Working...
        X