Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP 4500 and AdobeRGB

Hi.

Has anyone had any success using an IP4500 with AbobeRGB workflow ?

Configuring the driver is the problem and Canon's ICC profile naming is very confusing, using PR1 ( Photo paper pro ).

There is no mention of AdobeRGB in the driver setup unlike my old HP Photosmart 8450, so could I be trying to achieve the impossible ?
    Tried all combinations including allowing Qimage to take control of the profile butl I'm just wasting ink and paper on very poor prints.

Re: IP 4500 and AdobeRGB

As far as I'm aware, only 2 current Canon printers support AdobeRGB - the pro9000 II & Pro9500 II.

Best to stick to sRGB for printing from your model.

HTH

Lez
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

after a lot of searching found some information.

Canon suggests the following Photoshop settings when printing:

#1: When NOT using dedicated, printer/media specific profiles:
      1. Source space: Adobe RGB (or sRGB)
      2. Print space: Printer Color Management
      3. Print Driver: Select correct media, choose desired print quality, check manual color adjustment, select "Set...", and check "Enable ICM".

#2: When using a dedicated media-specific profile:
      1. Source space: Adobe RGB (or sRGB)
      2. Print space: Select the media-specific ICC profile*
      3. Printer Driver: Select correct media, check manual color adjustment, select "Set...", and select "None" for "Print Type". Do not enable ICM.

there is also a pdf at

Canon don't make it easy

I'll give it a go but I think the only way forward is a Canon pro printer ,
      just wish they made a reasonably priced A4.

Comment

Ozzie,

In the early days of buying my IP4500 I tried all manner of combination with profiles, drivers etc - even bought in a custom profile. For me setting up Photoshop to handle the printing was an absolute no no!!

The monitor is accurately calibrated with hardware so I know that's not the problem.

The only way that I have been able to get reasonably accurate renditions is to let the printer handle the printing.

Interestingly, I got Canon to print me a photo of one of my images on their Canon paper and an IP4500 - the print was totally flat and washed out, I did better myself tweaking the settings in the printer set-up boxes.

I guess the answer is to go for a 'professional' printer and not expect so much from a budget model.

Comment

thanks Mike.

after a lot of wasted Canon ink and Pro paper I've given up ... the IP4500 has been relegated to general printing tasks with cheap cartridges.

I'm sticking to my trusty HP Photosmart 8450 for prints until I can afford a pro model and it wont be Canon unless they introduce an A4.

Comment

The best and easiest way is to get a custom profile from your paper manufacturer.
            Using papers from Fotospeed and/or Permajet will allow you to get a free custom profile from them. There are too many variables to do it yourself and using a generic profile rarely works perfect.
            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
            X