My Image Garden and Cannon DPP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Image Garden and Cannon DPP

I was looking at adding a PIXMA iP7250 for improved occasional photo printing, the wi-fi networking would be very useful as the desktop PC has run out of USB ports.
    But I see that easy photo print has been dropped and it has My Image Garden. I downloaded this and it doesn’t open under DPP Plug In Printing, which I have used until now. Is there a way of adding it or has this all been ditched by Canon?

Re: My Image Garden and Cannon DPP

Hello and welcome John.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I am sure one of the bright sparks here will be able to solve it.
    Colin

Comment

Hello and wekcone to the forum.
      I can not help either
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Sorry, can't help either, but welcome to the forum.

Tom

Comment

Thanks, it looks to me as if one part of Canon has no idea what another part is doing. So new printer software has been introduced, in some cases as a new download for older printers but with new ones the only software supplied. But it doesn’t integrate with DPP supplied by another part of Canon.
          Without this Canon loses the advantage (as do we customers) of maintaining a intergraded flow so the issue becomes will the new program be capable of being integrated with an update to DPP if not for many like me it’s just which is the best printer for what I want as a stand-alone one.

Comment

What is it you want to do and can't?
            + Print from DPP using Easy-Photo Print EX?
            + Print from DPP using MIG?

Under DPP's File/Plugin Printing you should have "Easy-Photo Print EX" (and with Pro printers you get Easy-Photo Print Pro) - has that vanished after you installed MIG?. Or has MIG not appeared as an option here?

MIG is a standalone (I'm assuming a consumer product) and probably will not interface with DPP. In fact if I recall I couldn't get MIG to open RAW files?

These Easy-Photo products must be current as:
            Easy-Photo Print EX v4.1.0 is dated 5 Oct 12
            Easy-Photo Print Pro v2.7.2 is dated 12 Oct 12
            MIG v1.0.3 is dated 9 Nov 12
            Last edited by MX5; 03-12-2012, 11:32.

Comment

Hi

I am looking at replacing our multi-function printer or adding a photo printer. I found the best prints from DPP were those direct through the plug in printing.
              Most of the new Canon printers no longer come with Easy-Photo but with the new MIG program. I have downloaded it, for my existing printer, and it’s not integrated with DPP.
              .I know many Canon programs will not work with products outside of those supported. So I don’t expect Easy-Photo will work with a new printer if it’s not supplied with it. Without working through plug in printing I can widen my search if the integration has been lost.
              So that basic photo printers like PIXMA iP7250 only come with MIG as do most other new one.
              I have contacted Canon but I did so before I saw your comment on MIG not supporting RAW which I use. They appear to have abandoned more basic DPP/RAW supported printers.

Comment

I think Canon make (at least) two lines of software. Professional and Consumer. Happen they need to give the windows their Pro products live in a Red Line border and call DPP, DPP-L

Have you actually tried Easy-Photo Print EX with your printer? ... if not might be worth trying.

MIG is a standalone program, so I wouldn't expect DPP integration. Really MIG is aimed at 'consumers' (i.e. the person in the street). Whereas DPP with plugins (which also work in Photoshop) being the 'Pro' solution. Although I think Easy-Photo Print EX should support most Canon Inkjet printers and allow you to print via DPP. It's what I do (Easy-Photo Print Pro) unless printing from Photoshop (using Easy-Photo Print Pro).

There are a few disconnected in the Canon software, so they don't appear to use a common (software) code base. This suggests different (disconnected) teams or the work being outsourced to anonymous third parties.

Comment

I have tried pro and it promptly said no supported printer found and closed down.
                  Even 6 ink printers like Canon PIXMA MG6350 are now supplied with MIG, the older, more expensive PIXMA MG8250 does have the easy print pro still.
                  It’s a bit of an expensive gamble getting a printer and hoping it will work with easy print, after trying the pro I am not convinced that will work though maybe the more basic program has been less protected!

Comment

As a fallow up I had a reply from Canon support. I hope I never have to deal with them for something serious as it never mentioned MIG but rambled on about DPP and being part of a work flow. If anything would put me off buying from a manufacturer is support that couldn’t even reply to a simple question as to if MIG is likely to be added to DPP plug in printer support. As has been pointed out here its no so no point worrying getting a basic Canon printer for that now.
                    Is Canon support always so poor?

Comment

[.
                      Is Canon support always so poor?[/QUOTE]

Yes its is. I dealt with them earlier in the year and had to deal with someone whose English was rudimentry, to say the least. Way of the world I guess. I hung up and gave up the will to live.

Comment

Pity as my only other experience with a camera maker was with my son who uses Sony and when he had a problem, Sony support was VERY good. He didn't like what they said, after running through some tests that his camera had to go back for a repair, but apart from that completely different. They charged a flat, I think £150, for service and repair and the camera was back in a week.
                        I can see why my wife is beaming so much as she just bought a Sony Alpha A77 as I got a 60D so I just hope reliability is better than support with the Canon!

Comment

Originally posted by John7 View Post
                          I have tried pro and it promptly said no supported printer found and closed down.
                          Have you tried Easy-Photo Print EX (as I'm sure I've had that working for a mate with a new(ish) Pixma (not a Pro model))??

Comment

Hi
                            Yes tried that closed down saying no supported printer found.
                            I get the impression Cannon are ditching DDP/RAW support from all but the A3 and a few A4 printers with the Garden introduction.
                            Which is mad as its a useful reason to stay with Canon through the full process even if like me very few prints are produced each year. I found the few I print are better using the plug in than not, if I were printing more I expect I would spend the time working out how to do the same without the plug in. But if I am going to have to work things out what stay with Canon or indeed could be cheeper just to get them printed.

Comment

So what you are saying is that prints via DPP/Print are not as good as prints via DPP/Plug-in printing/Print with Easy-PhotoPrint ? Suggests the plug-in is doing something behind the scenes. I've checked and my mates printer is a 2011 model ... and as you say they seem to have abandoned plug-in printing for consumer printers this year. Which as you say is mad and will not endear itself to a section of their market.

I may have a play sometime and see for myself, although I ordinarily use DPP/Print when printing to a none-Canon printer and DPP/Plug-in printing/Print with Easy-PhotoPrint Pro when printing to my Pixma.

Comment

Working...
                              X