Daft Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daft Question?

I'm experimenting with my 60D and by choice shooting RAW.

Now when I open in ACR and make some adjustments an associated XMP file is created.

If I subsequently open the same RAW file the changes I made last time are there as expected.

My question is if there is a simple way of opening the file again in its original state other than deleting the XMP file?
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: Daft Question?

Most programs will give you a 'revert to as shot' option?
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Tony I only use DPP and the original is always there including my adjustments, if I want to start again I just "reset".
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I use ACR. I think there is an option. I will have a look this evening.
        Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
        EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

When ACR opens there is a drop down menu (all you'll see is a bar with the word 'Basic' and an icon at the end) above all the sliders. Click this icon and select the option you want (say Camera Raw Defaults). That way it doesn't use the sidecar file (the corresponding .XMP file).

Comment

Cheers guys. Kind of thought there must be easy way of doing this.

I'll have a play tonight.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Either that or click on "default" I think

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Not sure if I tried that and didn't seem to remove the changes. I check.

Comment

Antoeknee,

Sorry - I forgot to get back to this thread. Had a tinker with ACR - Version 6.6 using a RAW file from my 7D

When you have opened your file in ACR in the "Basic" tab (the one that contains the controls for Exposure and fill light, for example), to the right of the word "Basic" below the tabs you should see a small button - a drop down menu. This menu is entitled "Image Settings". The last option is "Reset Camera Raw Defaults". This resets all the tabs to the original. This menu appears on all the tabs. There are other options on it you may wish to play with.

Ignoring DNG doesn't ignore the XMP file.
                  Clicking Default only affects the Basic tab (not the adjustment on other tabs such as picture style, barrel correction or noise reduction)

I hope this helps.
                  Graydon

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                    I'm experimenting with my 60D and by choice shooting RAW.

Now when I open in ACR and make some adjustments an associated XMP file is created.

If I subsequently open the same RAW file the changes I made last time are there as expected.

My question is if there is a simple way of opening the file again in its original state other than deleting the XMP file?
                    Hi!

You could try this: Make a virtual copy of the image you have edited; press "Reset" and you will have an unedited version. Edit the "Reset" image and you will have both images - useful if you want to compare them against each other!

Martin

Comment

Dpp, acr ?
                      EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_R View Post
                        Dpp, acr ?
                        DPP = [Canon] Digital Photo Professional -free with your canon
                        ACR = Adobe Camera Raw -free from Adobe and integral part of CS (Creative Suite)

Comment

Originally posted by MartinR View Post
                          Hi!

You could try this: Make a virtual copy of the image you have edited; press "Reset" and you will have an unedited version. Edit the "Reset" image and you will have both images - useful if you want to compare them against each other!

Martin
                          There is also a 'snap shot' option which I believe allows capturing the current edit. Haven't explored this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
                            DPP = [Canon] Digital Photo Professional -free with your canon
                            ACR = Adobe Camera Raw -free from Adobe and integral part of CS (Creative Suite)
                            Cheers
                            EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Use LR. All the adjustments are listed in the "Develop" section under "History" you can go backwards and forwards to any point at any time.

Comment

Working...
                              X