Aperture Problems (Apple)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else suffering stability problems with Aperture, over the last month or so I have had no end of problems, freezing, crashing, skipping to the next photo and the list goes on. I have been getting some minimal support from apple, sending them error logs, screen shots and so on but all takes so long, 3 or 4 days in-between replies and so on.

Any way I am seriously considering using something else now. I know this has been asked numerous times but what do you recommend. I have DPP but will miss the brushes that I use in aperture, don't have them in DPP.

Elements 11 ? Lightroom ? not sure I know the difference really.
    Last edited by secondintime; 29-09-2012, 11:35.
    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Re: Aperture Problems (Apple)

Check out information available on http://www.apertureexpert.com - I have found this site very informative and helpful. There us a users forum on which to post questions. Have you installed the latest updates?

Peter

Comment

Thanks, have been there a lot already, helped in the early days of getting used to aperture but not with solving the problems I am having. Have done the usual things, removed it completely, fresh install and so on. Have lost count of the number of things I have tried. Have installed the latest update yes, and its even worse. A little disgruntled with Apple at the moment. They are too busy pumping out new products to care about existing customers or supporting the software they already have. And they don't make it easy to complain either, I cannot find a single contact email address to send my complaints to. You just get bounced around endless questions and boxes to tick saying "did this help"

Have just downloaded Elements 11 trial and its ok, although not as straight forward as some. For example I have been messing with editing a photo but there is no easy option to revert back to original photo, and the original has changed. I can't undo the crop I have made. I have deleted the xmp file it creates but the RAW image is still cropped. Have event opened it in DPP to check and its changed. I thought it was meant to be non destructive?

Sorry, having a right moan. Not happy at the moment, don't have enough time for photography at the moment as it is and can do without having to learn a new software product cause apple can't sort their software out.

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Hi mate, sorry to hear of your problems with aperture. I'v been using macs for a just over a year, and the one thing I notice is I don't like their software. Now don't get me wrong I really like my mac, but things like Pages, numbers I don't like. I quickly stopped using them and put office on, sorted my problems out. As for editing software I use photoshop cs6, expensive, but I'v heard good things about lightroom from friends, and there's always Canon's good old software for editing. But don't give up pestering apple, after all you paid for aperture and it should work.

John

Comment

Thanks John, just been out on the Motorbike for an hour or and cleared my head. I've got Elements 11 on trial for 30 days, so will have a mess about with that and see how it goes. Need to watch some tutorials and get my head round it a bit. Have had a look at cs6 and yes its a little more than I want to spend really.

Just so very frustrating, really like the look and feel of aperture, does everything I want, but would be nice if it didn't have numerous flaws. I know nothing is perfect but it should at least work as expected. Feel the same as you with regard to software, have put Microsoft Office on my Mac too.

Comment

Try the 30 day trial of Lightroom it is well worth it. It is all I use 95% of the time from what I have read, not being a Mac user, it is pretty similar in concept to Aperture.

I thought listening to all the hype Apple computers and software is perfect and doesn't have problems Must just be hype then.
            --
            Colin
            http://fotos-espana.com
            http://macameraclub.com
            http://turnspain.com

Comment

The computer/OS is great w/apple. Software products area iffy. When I first got my MAC I tried Aperture along side of LR. Mind you that I used LR since it's 1st Beta appearance on a PC. But I did give Aperture a try and it wasn't as good as LR IMO.

Tom

Comment

Just downloading Lightroom 4 trial now. It would be a little more than I would like to spend but if it pays off in the long run, why not.

Have had a go of Elements 11, not overly impressed although that is likely to be my not being familiar with it.

May come down to Elements 11 or Lightroom 4. Keep you posted.

As always please let me know your opinions as they are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Swoosh View Post
                  Just downloading Lightroom 4 trial now. It would be a little more than I would like to spend but if it pays off in the long run, why not.

Have had a go of Elements 11, not overly impressed although that is likely to be my not being familiar with it.

May come down to Elements 11 or Lightroom 4. Keep you posted.

As always please let me know your opinions as they are appreciated.
                  I personally prefer the Lightroom over Elements, although i have Ps most of the tweak i need is done in LR and if needed i can import and export from there to Ps.

Raj
                  Raj
                  Flickr

Comment

My workflow always start w/LR. I only use elements if I need to do layers adjustments, like using 2 or more NIK Plugins on 1 image.

Tom

Comment

Quite like Lightroom already, only had half an hour on it. See HERE
                      Last edited by secondintime; 30-09-2012, 14:06.

Comment

Working...
                      X