Raw or DNG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw or DNG?

Any views on storing images as DNG or Raw, please?
    I have been advised that DNG is safer as older Raw's may not be readable by newer software in the future?
    Already my Canon s100 Raws cannot be opened with cs3 on my laptop - don't really want to upgrade as I only use the laptop occasionally.

Re: Raw or DNG?

It more likely that newer RAWs (say the ones from the upcoming 6D) will not be readable by older Adobe ACR. That's the Adobe TAX at play ... making you upgrade to the latest (or last latest) version so you can get an ACR that supports the latest cameras.

I've temporarily used DNG when a camera is so new Adobe haven't gotten round to updating ACT (or gone via a TIFF conversion using DPP).

BUT ... the Canon Software disk that comes with the latest camera will have a version of DPP that supports it and all previous versions.

Now there might reach a point when old RAWs don't get supported ... but that is some time away (That's the sort of thing the British Library and Kew worry about ... digital obsolescence )

Comment

Sounds like my Raws may outlive me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DianaS View Post
        Sounds like my Raws may outlive me!!!
        There's no doubt in my case
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Working...
        X