Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workflow - Submission Of Photographs For Competions

Question:

One of this years resolutions for me is to enter photographic competitions, whether they be just for fun or not. Indeed and to start the ball rolling I have entered into this years (2012) forum End Of Year Showcase and in doing so have discovered my possible first hurdle.

The original and Hi-res photograph of the shot I submitted was, in my mind/opinion of high quality/definition, full of detail (I think the phrase used universally is "pin sharp") however the constraints of the forum competition and no doubt others in the future were that the file submitted could not exceed 1Mb in size. Looking at my particular entry, I notice that the shot in quality terms does not match my original (obviously I expect a reduction) to the extent that a number of artefacts and "jaggies" appear to have been introduced into it resulting, in my opinion, in a poor representation of the original.

I firmly believe this to be a problem with the way I processed the original to get the resulting file (and not in the way the shot has been subsequently uploaded by any organizer of the competition) and therefore was wondering how others achieve more than acceptable results (as demonstrated by the majority of this years entries)?

The caveat to the question is that my processing was done using Canon software only (slight manipulation in DPP followed by conversion in ZoomBrowser and ImageBrowser). I appreciate that most photographers have or use an arsenal of programs/apps during their workflow but how can a good and acceptable conversion workflow be achieved using the supplied Canon software only (thinking of beginners here especially)?

Perhaps and assuming there is a definitive answer, this topic could also be a subject of a future edition of the EOS magazine.

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Steve.
    EOS 400D, EOS 40D, EOS 7D
    EF 24-105L F4 IS, EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm MK11

Re: Workflow - Submission Of Photographs For Competions

The best way to reduce your file size, when exporting images for the web, is to limit it to 72dpi, as anything more than that is effectively wasted. You will easily get your image under 1mb then
    Elaine

1Ds mk III;
    24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
    580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mish21 View Post
      The best way to reduce your file size, when exporting images for the web, is to limit it to 72dpi, as anything more than that is effectively wasted. You will easily get your image under 1mb then
      regards
      Donald

Comment

Hi Steve

I'm glad you raised this, as I too have 'trouble' keeping quality with size limitation. I think the best advice is to experiment in advance!

Firstly, to have a standard approach, is your screen of good quality, and is it calibrated? (Most of my picture work is done on my uncalibrated laptop screen!)

Secondly, as per your initial post, using just DPP, I have had a play with different settings, just saved to my own PC (no external photo site used).

Without re-sizing, I 'see' NO DISCERNIBLE DIFFERENCE in final quality on my laptop screen between different DPP's quality and dpi settings used...

However - I know there is a difference in the saved images, as the kb size differs.

For the same original shot, I saved versions with different settings:
        Quality 1, 72dpi = 2,287kb
        Quality 1, 350dpi = 2,287kb
        Quality 10, 72dpi = 12,013kb
        Quality 10, 350dpi = 12,013kb
        Interesting that the DPI setting changes make no difference in file size!

With re-sizing (to 800pixels on longest edge), I notice quite a difference in discernible quality in the final shot:
        Quality 1, 72dpi = 99kb
        Quality 1, 350dpi = 99kb
        Quality 10, 72dpi = 446kb
        Quality 10, 350dpi = 446kb

For competitions, it will depend on how the pictures are to be submitted as to what is the best approach!
        Many online comps run through the likes of Flickr, and you just post your shot on the appropriate section of the comp's Flickr site.
        If you're emailing entries, you're more in control of the re-sizing / re-formatting.

Usually though, restrictions of up to 2MB per shot would allow a very acceptable level of quality, unless the shot is going to blown up to A2 size, so you also need to consider what format the competition is to be judged in!

Not sure much of this helps - but it was interesting for me playing around with some settings and seeing the results!

Additionally, even just in DPP, your play with different sequences of steps and see what happens!
        For example, I tend to adjust, in the following order...
        brightness, contrast, high/low lights, quite rarely saturation, almost never tone and LASTLY sharpness.
        Then I crop and adjust horizon level, then Convert and Save to JPG.
        For the Convert and Save step - if I'm posting to Facebook etc. I use lowest quality (it's just friends and family, and they can't tell the difference), if it's going on to Flickr, I save at the highest quality. I have a Flickr Pro account, so I can upload unlimited size, so why reduce it?
        I have tried Photobucket, and 500px instead of Flickr, but I get the best results using Flickr... don't know why!

Does this help, or just confuse?

Hope it helps! All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I have checked my images and they look OK. Obviously not as good as a high resolution image, but pretty good for the net.

I do my RAW conversion in Canon's DPP and then use Photoshop for any final polish and sharpening. For my set up, I give an extra 30 - 60% sharpening for the web, but I only generally select the main subject to sharpen, rather than sharpen the whole picture. Then I flatten the image and off it goes into the blue yonder, or more accurately ........... Grey!

Hope that helps.
          Colin

Comment

Thank you all.

@Mike

Thank you for conducting the tests and publishing your results with which my subsequent tests concur. I think I've mastered a technique now. Time will tell.

Regards to all

Steve
            EOS 400D, EOS 40D, EOS 7D
            EF 24-105L F4 IS, EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm MK11

Comment

Working...
            X