Adobe Software Moving to the Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Software Moving to the Cloud

I was watching “Click” this morning on the BBC Breakfast programme, whilst eating my breakfast. (Now there’s a coincidence)

I was interested to note that Adobe is planning to move all their software on to a Cloud infrastructure and charge monthly for using it.

I was wondering how other Adobe customers on this site feel about it.

Re: Adobe Software Moving to the Cloud

I saw this on the BBC RSS feed a week ago, for Photoshop and Dreamweaver:
    Adobe starts subscription for Photoshop and Dreamweaver
    Adobe is introducing a subscription model for many of its most popular programs, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Premiere.

"In the UK, access to all programs in the Creative Cloud costs £47 a month provided customers agree to pay for at least a year. If customers opt to pay month-to-month the cost is £70."

Against the outright purchase of something like CS6 for £1,800 then it's a steal.
    As an amateur I'm not sure I'd pay what is effectively £564-£840 a year to use LR or PE, though. Not unless it was earning me enough to pay for itself.
    Last edited by NickM; 12-05-2013, 13:07.
    I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I don't really understand this whole cloud pricing thing. How come I was able to buy LR4, from Adobe, a couple of months ago for about £75, with unlimited lifetime use (until it stops working for some reason!), and now, they are planning charging around £216 (£18/month single application price) a year to use it? It makes no sense whatsover to me, unless I am completely missing something. From reading the blurb on the BBC website, it seems that it is a cost saving excercise, so Adobe are constantly improving an application, rather than relaesing new products every year or two. This will really hit the amateur user hard. Probably to the point that they wont bother.

So, to answer the queastion, "How do other users feel about it?" A bit annoyed really!

Garry
      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I started a similar thread last week in General (was not sure where it was most appropriate):http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...ing-pricing%21

Gary, I don't think Lightroom is (as yet) included in the cloud pricing model - there has been massive discussion on this around the internet, (lots on G+) Right now, what would appear to be the cheapest way to get photoshop and lightroom would be to buy lightroom outright, (as you still can) and subscribe to PS on the £18 pm model.

If you only want LR - then you should be able to stick with the old model - unless at some future point they move LR into the cloud also.

I did read somewhere (on Scott Kelby's site I think) that the team behind LR, appreciate that it is only really used by photographers, many of whom will have little or no interest in other Adobe applications - so they are keen to keep offering LR at least, in the same way as previous - but who knows

Ian
        Last edited by celtex; 14-05-2013, 08:45.
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Working...
        X