Apple Aperture v Photoshop Elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Aperture v Photoshop Elements

Have just taken the plunge of changing from a PC to an iMac. Have used Photoshop Elements up until now. I would appreciate any advice / opinions that can be given on the merits of buying Aperture in place of Photoshop. What can you do with Photoshop which can't be handled in Aperture. I understand that Aperture is non-destructive. It's taking a bit of getting used to a new system.

Re: Apple Aperture v Photoshop Elements

I Have a Mac and Aperture is like Light Room. I use LR & Elements when I process images. What Elements gives you that aperture does not is the ability to work in layers. I also use Elements+ addon to Elements for access to the channel mixer that allows me to flip the red & blue channels when working with infra red.

Tom

Comment

Ah, that reminds me of something - Tom (and apologies to crusoe) can I please have a small slightly off-topic interruption... Can I ask what you think of Elements+ generally (rather than the IR specific example)? I ask as I gave someone a copy of Elements as a present and did mention the existence of Elements+ but thought she had enough of a learning curve for now not to worry about stuff that won't be in the help.
      Last edited by DrJon; 08-07-2013, 20:32.

Comment

Hi DrJon,

I bought Elements+ for the sole purpose for the channel mixer. And for $9.99 it was far cheaper then buying Photoshop CS. I really haven't used any of the other features as I have not had a need to at this time.

Tom

Comment

Okay, thanks

Comment

I use Aperture almost exclusively. Unless I need layers and text. It works great when you have a lot of images to process. Very fast. You go from one image to the next, tweak or use presets. The bundled presets are good, but you can tweak them and create your own for later use.

Photoshop is more powerful (dunno about Elements), but nothing beats the speed of Aperture. You can easily process hundreds of images in an afternoon.

Aperture doesn't modify your original (RAW) images. It creates "versions" that you can export in different formats. And it's inexpensive.

Min point is that it's a couple of years old now and Lightroom may have the edge in features.
            myTube
            Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
            Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

I have a Mac with Aperture installed. It is quick, non destructive and handles all the basics very well, but I need to use layers and sometimes Text. That means it's a no brainer for Elements, or Photoshop.

Stick with Elements as I haven't used Aperture for a couple of years now.
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X