DSLR Controller for Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSLR Controller for Android

A wet & cold day yesterday I decided to stay in and take some record shots of a porcelain collection. I'd also recently downloaded the DSLR Controller app on my Nexus tablet, so I thought I'd try it out.

I setup the camera on a tripod, with the objects in a collapsible light tent. Then I plugged in the camera's mini usb cable (the one I normally use for downloading to my desktop) attached the other end to an OTG (on-the-go) cable attached to the Nexus and fired up the application.

I really like it! You set the camera's mode dial in the usual way then in the app you can control the fine detail (aperture, exposure, continuous, single shot etc.). More importantly it offers a 5x and 10x magnification of the image - which works really well for spot on focusing of the image and would be great for macro work.

The next thing I want to try is a long cable (though to be fair to the app builder they say this might not work) so that I can set the camera out amongst the birds & operate it from the warmth of the house.

The app should work on any Android platform, and at just under £6 it's very fairly priced. And no, I have no link to the developer.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: DSLR Controller for Android

Is this the link ?
    EOS 650D & EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC US, Tamron 28-105mm F/4-5.6, Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II

Comment

Does this work for video as well?
      EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Yes Mark, that's the link, or https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntroller&hl=en
        on Google Play.

According to the blurb Paul it supports video too, but I haven't tested it.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I tried it briefly on my 60D and was very impressed. But now I have the 6D I can use Canon's own EOS Remote app via Wifi which also works really well and obviously being WiFi would solve your long cable issue. Also available on 7D of course.
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

If you have 2 android devices that can run the dslr controller app, you can setup the device at the controller as a wifi hotspot and control the camera remotely using the second device via the wifi connection...
            Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Working...
            X