Corrupt RAW files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupt RAW files

Some years ago whilst re-partitioning a HDD, the drive failed! Using a data recovery program I did get back most of my work.

However, whilst all my jpegs and some RAW files were viewable, some would not open.

I'm now making a determined effort to fully recover those corrupt RAWs.

Bridge can see some of the thumbnails but PS3 will not open them - "Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file.".

I've tried PhotoRecovery, PhotoReswcue, and some others, but to no avail. I gather that these rescue programs are for recovering data from a camera card.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

[I left the original HDD in its poorly state. All the data was copied elsewhere.]

Re: Corrupt RAW files

Hello & welcome to the forum...

First thought that comes to mind... can DPP open the RAWs? (DPP came with your Canon Utilities disk...)

Next; are the RAW files older .crw or newer .cr2?

Do they 'list' / display in Windows Explorer? I.e can the system see them?

You could try a free evaluation of Disk Doctor Digital Media Recovery... but I think it's only good for recovering 'deleted' / 'formatted' files etc... not corrupted files... if it works; buy for $49... failing that, it looks like a professional recovery job - if they are worth it!
    Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 16-02-2010, 12:42.
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
      Hello & welcome to the forum...

First thought that comes to mind... can DPP open the RAWs? (DPP came with your Canon Utilities disk...)
      No.

Next; are the RAW files older .crw or newer .cr2?
      .crw

Do they 'list' / display in Windows Explorer? I.e can the system see them?
      Yes.

You could try a free evaluation of Disk Doctor Digital Media Recovery... but I think it's only good for recovering 'deleted' / 'formatted' files etc... not corrupted files... if it works; buy for $49... failing that, it looks like a professional recovery job - if they are worth it!
      I'll give it a try.

Comment

For .crw files; try CRWRepair...
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

"Disk Doctor Digital Media Recovery." didn't work.

Comment

"CRWRepair..."

Thanks, but doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor C&G Scarf View Post
              "CRWRepair..."

Thanks, but doesn't work.
              Mmmm - strange... if they list OK, then at least the headers are intact!

Sounds like it's off the professionals then! Have a credit-card handy & think of the loyalty-points!

Good luck...

Comment

I'm determined to find out how the professionals do it!

Comment

Working...
                X