Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise Reduction Software - useful or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noise Reduction Software - useful or not?

Looks like Nikon have the upper hand in high ISO - low noise DxOMark 1DmIV vs D3s.

Comment

Maybe I’ve got this wrong, I thought the 35mm film format had pretty much reached a ‘development plateau’. The camera makers could only add bells and whistles to the bodies and try to make better lenses. Film development: faster film, less grain I didn't really happen to a great extent ??

Millie
      So, what developments will be with digital, how much further can this be developed, without adding bells and whistles?

It's rather like "watch this space"!

How much of an improvement on noise have the later camera models got. e.g. 7d compared to the earlier models, including the professional series?

If noise gets to be quiet, then we won't need any reduction software! Now this could be really good! But then what will the software producers do? Make noise production software?
      Last edited by eeyore; 19-02-2010, 13:33. Reason: typo
      Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

So, what developments will be with digital, how much further can this be developed, without adding bells and whistles?
        Dunno Richard, better sensors and more powerful processors ?

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
          Colin, what about the diff between the 1dMk11 & 4 noise wise?
          Is the D3 still 'the boss' in the "high ISO low nosie race" even though is was realeased about a year before the IDmk4 ?
          Millie

There are various views on this, dependending whether you have Canon, or Noink loyalty, but informed opinion seems to be that 1D4 MKIV is on a par with D3, but half a stop to a stop behind the D3S. But that is not a "like for like comparison" and with the 1DS MKIV available soon, that would be a more sensible test against the D3S.
          • The 1D MKII was OK up to ISO 400
          • The 1D MKIII was OK up to ISO 1600
          • The 1D MKIV seems OK up to ISO 6400

The above three examples are my view only of where I would be comfortable to max out the ISO, beyond which is scary territory and/or much fiddling on the computer.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,
            Just really making the point about how far things have developed since the days of1dM2, a relatively short time ago, I trust you'll agree.

Competition is good, it spurs development ?

Millie

Comment

Competition is good ... but I think if Sony/Minolta/Konica, Pentax and Olympus (and even Panasonic) upped the ante ... then that might concentrate the mind of Canon Vs Nikon mindsets at Ōta and Shinjuku.

So are we likely see 409600 ISO with ultra low noise? ... and the introduction of a new mode to supplement Av and Tv ... namely Iv (ISO Value | Priority) ...

Comment

I have spotted that posting attachments to the forum adds quite a bit of noise to the picture.
                Brian posted this a week or so ago in reply to something.

I think that I found that on one I posted. Is there something in the process of posting to this forum from, say, Photobucket, that adds noise?

Comment

Working...
                X