Smart sharpen disappearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart sharpen disappearing

A little thing that's been annoying me for months now, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

This image size

Capture1.JPG

I do my usual adjustments, levels, shadows, highlights and dodging and burning. I then apply a Smart Sharpen with these settings.

smart_sharpen.JPG

I hit OK, and the progress bar appears. The image in the background looks sharpened and I'm excited to see that it worked, however, when the progress bar has finished the image suddenly resorts to the unsharp image again.

All done on the active layer of the image, so I can't decide what's going on. I usually use Unsharp Mask, or High Pass filter, but this smart sharpen as never worked on CS6 or CC.

Anyone have this issue?

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Smart sharpen disappearing

Works fine for me, although I get less stuff in the dialog being on CS6 not CC. Does the actual image show the changes as well as the dialog image? (Mine does.) Oh, and are there any interesting settings under the gear wheel (which again I don't have)?
    Last edited by DrJon; 18-12-2013, 11:11.

Comment

The Image changes appear on the image behind the dialogue box yeah. It reverts back to the unsharp image though as soon as the progress bar disappears. It's really odd. I haven't opened the gear icon yet lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

BTW I don't use Smart Sharpen, so this was the first time, give-or-take the odd play with it.

I would try changing from Lens Blur to Gaussian Blur though, as that may well help.

Comment

Changing from Lens blur to Gaussian blur seems to have sorted it. I have no idea why that would be. One of those "Hmmm well" things.

Cheers, Paul
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

I understand that Gaussian Blur is what USM does, Lens Blur tries some clever scheme to minimise sharpening halos - or in your case I guess just to minimise sharpening ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X