X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cropped images in DPP

Hi,
    Played with DPP today cropping some JPEG images

What I don't understand is why the cropped image has a much bigger file size than the original say 4Mb vs 1.6 for example

Any ideas?
    What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks
    Cheers
    Colin

Re: Cropped images in DPP

I believe that when you crop a file in RAW DPP, it retains the full RAW file, but only shows you the crop. If you look at the preview images, it shows the full image with the embedded crop lines and when you click on that image, the full screen image is a cropped one, with all the original information still available should you change your mind etc.

In many other programs, when you crop an image, the discarded pixels are deleted.
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      I believe that when you crop a file in RAW DPP, it retains the full RAW file, but only shows you the crop. If you look at the preview images, it shows the full image with the embedded crop lines and when you click on that image, the full screen image is a cropped one, with all the original information still available should you change your mind etc.

In many other programs, when you crop an image, the discarded pixels are deleted.
      But that does not explain why the cropped image file is so much bigger than the original non cropped file

And it's JPEG files

:)

Comment

But that does not explain why the cropped image file is so much bigger than the original non cropped file
        You're right ................ I'll have to ponder that one further!
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colintf View Post

And it's JPEG files

:)
          One possibility that crosses my mind is that DPP is saving the cropped file at a much lower compression (= higer quality) setting than that used by the camera. Is your camera set to save JPEGs at maximum size and highest quality?

You are actually exporting/saving the cropped files as JPEG and not TIFF aren't you? TIFF files are much bigger than JPEG.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
          X