GPS Picture Sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Picture Sync

When I'm fell walking I carry a Garmin GPS and my G10 (plus 20kg plus of essential gear). I've now come across this GPICSYNC which when combined with Google Earth ... shows your track (nothing new there) but with the places you took the photographs. [It assumes your clock is correct on G10 ... ]

It's handy when showing people where you went and what you observed.

Not bad I'd say. But I'd prefer the cameras to have GPS built in ...

Re: GPS Picture Sync

It's cool, I'm not trying to steal your thunder, but my phone does all that.
    I take pictures and it geo tags them, and gives me the option to upload to the web.

I can take a picture, then use the sat nav on the phone in 'walk mode' to get back to where I took the picture.
    Handy if you're like me and get lost easily.

plus 20kg plus of essential gear
    Crates of beer ?

Millie

Comment

MX5; You could check-out something like the JOBO PhotoGPS...

Maybe a little OTT for the G10; but it looks like the sort of thing you're after...

I'm sure it won't be that long before GPS tagging is a default built in to future bodies... it's a feature I'd quite like to see too!
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

I just remember where I took my photo's.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks for the replies -)

Millie -- 20kg ... there's a monocular, spare batteries, head torch, hand torch, crampons, spare top, spare midlayer, gloves*2 pairs, hat, food, flask of black coffee, medical stuff, poles, maps, sweets, my bear, etc etc. Soon adds up. I recall looking at a new 'phone ... the girl said it would do apps, satnav, take 8mp pictures, play music, show video, surf the 'net. I'm sure she thought I was taking the ***** when I asked I could make 'phone calls with it.

C-F -- I looked at the Jobo. Might check again.

Colin C -- I normally can remember the location but whilst snapping and rambling I do tend to forget the exact location.

Comment

Nice program but Geosetter is much better

just set it to place the gps info directly into the raw exif rather than creating those ridiculous XMP sidecar files.

Comment

I tend not to remember where I took my photos, but I've found a foolproof way of finding out. I look at the photos...!
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Ozzie - Thanks ... Geosetter does seem different (and better). Will have a play when I've some time.

Comment

I just remember where I took my photo's.
                  Colin
                  I tend not to remember where I took my photos, but I've found a foolproof way of finding out. I look at the photos...!
                  IMHO it's not about you remembering where you took photos, it's more about easily sharing the location with others.

Millie

Comment

You are right Millie. And also if you are at a sportsevent, wedding, airshow etc ... then your location doesn't change (much) ... but if you are doing a 15 mile walk (and somewhere you've not been before) ... then remembering the exact grid ref you took every photo is even for my brain pushing it a bit. Yes in the rambling photo game, folk what to know the exact location (as well as date and time) the photo was taken. So they can go back to see something interesting you've snapped.

Comment

I totally agree, I do a bit of rambling myself MX5, I've done the South Downs Way and the a small part of the Jurassic Coast. Nothing off the beaten track though. :-)
                      I have a no sense of direction, I got lost in a forest last year for about two hours. I don’t mind admitting I was beginning to get a bit scared.
                      Now I will always set my GPS location either by taking a picture or pressing the ‘my location’ button, before I go somewhere I could get lost.

It beats ringing my husband and crying on the phone that I’m lost, first thing he always asks me is, “where are you ”.
                      I like that you can share locations easily with people all over the world/country.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                        It beats ringing my husband and crying on the phone that I’m lost, first thing he always asks me is, “where are you ”.
                        Millie
                        We mere mortal males are just soooo understanding like that
                        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

We mere mortal males are just soooo understanding like that
                          Not sure if it’s anything to do with gender CF. My hubby’s always losing his car keys around the house.
                          When he asks if I’ve seen them, I instinctively ask him where he left them.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                            Not sure if it’s anything to do with gender CF. My hubby’s always losing his car keys around the house.
                            When he asks if I’ve seen them, I instinctively ask him where he left them.

Millie
                            touché 15-all...

Comment

Working...
                            X