70D RAW codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70D RAW codec

Since buying a 70D last year I have been limited in viewing my RAW files on my computer. I can view them in PhotoShop and in Digital Photo Professional, but other photo editors display the photos with a pink tint. Windows is also unable to make thumbnails. I am using Win7 64 and have installed the latest codec, but the 70D is not listed in the cameras with which this works. I have emailed Canon support but was told to use DPP.As PS works I have learned to use it, but it can still be a bit frustrating when it uses Windows file manager such as in selecting files for HDR. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this?
    Using Tapatalk

Re: 70D RAW codec

I still can't natively view .CR2 files in Windows 8.1, even after installing the codecs.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I have a similar problem and have solved this by downloading Faststone Image viewer. It's free and seems to work on all files of any type. Gives thumbnails and full screen images. And you can transfer into Photoshop directly from it.

You can even do minor edits with it. The image resizer is also a good tool to download.

Hope this helps,

Sara W.

Comment

Good chance that Irfanview would also work.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I think Bob's problem is getting Windows to natively display his raw images in Explorer not finding a package that can display them.

I had this problem when Win7 came out and couldn't understand why Win XP displayed the images but Win7 couldn't. It appears that the Win7 x64 Canon codec didn't work and Canon didn't have a 64 bit codec available. I downloaded and installed Fast Picture Viewer which, although not free, is reasonably priced (just a few dollars). It worked a treat.

With recent updates being applied to Win 7 and/or downloading Canon's codec (I can't remember which) I no longer have the problem and was able to uninstall Fast Picture Viewer.

It may be worth downloading the latest MS codec pack and/or the Canon one.

edit: Just noticed you have already tried the latest codecs so I'd give Fast Picture Viewer a try.
          Last edited by Norman; 04-02-2014, 10:46.
          Regards ,
          Norman

Comment

Microsoft's latest [Sept 2013] Camera Codec for Windows doesn't support the 70D in Windows 7 (it does however in the [Dec 2013] Windows 8.1 variant I think). Canon never to my knowledge bothered with a 64-bit Codec? (Although I haven't checked recently). So it's using third party products. Or you can shoot in RAW+JPEG and at least you know what IMG_0123.CR2 contains (from IMG_0123.JPG) in Windows Explorer.

Comment

As you say Norman the problem is with Windows. Both PS and DPP work with the RAW files. Adobe Bridge does great thumbnails as well, but I cannot view then in Windows Explorer. I do have other RAW files from my old 450D that Windows will display, the problem is with 70D files.

I'm guessing that if Microsoft have included the 70D in their Win 8 codec, then maybe they don't intend to support it in Win 7. All a bit frustrating
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

Try the Fast Picture Viewer codec pack. $14.95 (about £10) works a treat. Also displays all sorts of other formats too PSD, TIFF, PDF etc.).

You can try before you buy. At least you'll know whether it works for your 70D then.

I have no connection with company BTW.
                Regards ,
                Norman

Comment

Thanks Norman. I downloaded the trial version of Fast Picture Viewer codec and it worked, so I have bought it. There's an Xmas discount and it was only £6.33 which was a very good price.
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no issue with DPP or Photoshop Express and Windows 7 Pro 64
                    Last edited by briansquibb; 04-02-2014, 18:57.
                    ef-r

Comment

Can you view your 70D raw files in Microsoft Explorer?
                      Regards ,
                      Norman

Comment

I can view thumbnails so I presume I can view the full pictures - never thought to check and I've turned the PC off now (on my iPad). I'll check tomorrow.
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

You could always buy a MAC they just work LOL

Comment

It works fine with Windows Photo Gallery. Initially I got the Microsoft message saying it didn't recognise the CR2 format, but it worked despite that.

A Mac would be nice and I did consider it when I retired last year, but when I looked into the cost, including replacing software such as Photoshop and Cubase, I was able to build a new PC for about a quarter the price. So my head beat my heart.
                            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                              I have no issue with DPP or Photoshop Express and Windows 7 Pro 64
                              The issue that Bob had was that he couldn't see thumbnails of his raw images within Explorer. He didn't want to have to open another application to view them. Does your PC display the 70D raw image thumbnails within Explorer (not within DPP or PS)?
                              Regards ,
                              Norman

Comment

Working...
                              X