Highlight Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlight Alert

I am getting an inconsistency between my camera and DPP.

I am using a 1D3 and shooting some close up florals in RAW with a white background. On some occasions the camera review will show the white background as a highlight alert (as I want it - totally white), but when the same image is loaded into DPP only some of the background is highlighted.
    The Av needs to be 4.0 (as per my light meter) and the pix taken as that are consistent between the camera review and DPP. When I change the Av value to 4.5, the camera still shows the background as OK (highlighted) but in DPP there is partial highlighting.
    As the software that controls the camera and DPP are both Canon sourced, I would have expected consistency.

Has anyone an explanation or experienced this themselves?

David

Re: Highlight Alert

Do you have highlight tone priority set in camera?
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

No Paul - just set as 0 - disable.
      If you think this would make a difference I will try this next time.

David

Comment

Hi Paul - just ran a couple more shots with highlight tone priority set to enable.

I have not studied the pix with and without as that in itself is not an issue for me at present. However the varying f values again gave different results on the camera to that on the computer screen using DPP. By setting a f value as per the light meter the pix reads "OK" on both the camera and DPP but if I shut down the aperture by 1/3 stop then the camera says everything is OK but DPP says not! The camera is apparently more forgiving - but that is an issue for me as I want to know that I do have a pure white background. It means that I cannot rely on the camera but have to process the pix through DPP to be sure I have got what I want.
        Looks like I wil have to get to tethering the camera so I have an immediate reading of the picture and the white background.
        David

Comment

Working...
        X