Focus Stacking Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus Stacking Software

I've been trying to photograph some of my wife's extensive collection of costume jewellery recently and found the best results were from using my Sigma 70-300mm lens in macro mode, however to get a reasonable depth of field I've been playing with lighting a lot.

Then I discovered focus stacking, so I"m having a play about with that - I've tried HeliconFocus, Zerene Stacker and Fiji (I have a MacBook Pro).

The problem is both Helicon and Zerene are (in my opinion) expensive for something which won't be used on a regular basis. Fiji is OK (and it's free!) but has quite a steep learning curve (for me anyhow) so I'd like to call on the experience of the collective and see what other people are using and how they find it.

Once I'm happy with them, I'll even post some of my images on here!
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Re: Focus Stacking Software

Combine ZP is another free programme. The only problem with it is that you do tend to get inverse images round the edges of the finished product. This means cropping is needed which might not be a good idea depending on what you are shooting and how full the frame is. I use Zerene as my principal software, yes you have to pay for it, but it gives generally better and more consistent results than Combine.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Some excellent examples of what Zerene can do at http://www.theguardian.com/environme...es-photography
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

Photoshop?

Comment

I hadn't come across Combine ZP before in my searches - I'll have to give that a try, thank you.

As for Photoshop, I'm afraid I looked at that and ended up cowering and gibbering in the corner, trying to figure out what I was doing. I have Photoshop Elements and I'm finding that hard going. I think I"m going to have to do a course on it to understand working with it.

I do like the Helicon Remote software though I like the idea?

Comment

This might help Jock

I show a couple of ways to do product photography through focus stacking so that the entire product is in focus even if it's optically impossible.Visit me:ht...
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Just an update here - I downloaded the demo version of Helicon Focus / Remote and I like it, unfortunately, the price is a little prohibitive for someone who just wants to play.

I have been playing with ImageJ and the Extended Depth of Field plugin, but the either results aren't sharp, or it seems to take forever.

Can anyone tell me how long it should take (approximately) to render a stack of 11 jpeg images (each about 1Mb) at even medium quality? So far, I left it running for several hours, but had to abort eventually.

Comment

Kinda depends on your computer I expect. If you'd like to post the images somewhere I'll try it in a couple of things...

Comment

Jock all I can say is that stacking 10-12 images in CombineZP and Helicon on my main machine takes about 5-7 minutes but on my laptop it takes nearer to 30 minutes, that is working with raw files.

Comment

Thanks guys - as I'm trying to stack on a MacBook Pro, I'll give it more time and report back!

Comment

Working...
                    X