Lightroom & Elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom & Elements

I've been using LR for a couple of years now and I'm finding that I need some further editing power and I'm looking at using Elements..

All my images get imported into LR, so I presume to edit them in Elements I just export them? but can you export a virtual copy rather than the original? Its just I want to have the ability to undo any chances in the same way you can with LR but I'm guessing that once you export back from Element into LR those changes won't be able to be changed - I hope I've explained myself here ;o)
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: Lightroom & Elements

You can setup Lightroom to use elements as an external editor. Once you do that, it will create a copy of the Lightroom image with the adjustments you made and pop it over to elements for editing. Once done, elements will place those edits on the copy of the image in LR

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      I've been using LR for a couple of years now and I'm finding that I need some further editing power and I'm looking at using Elements..

All my images get imported into LR, so I presume to edit them in Elements I just export them? but can you export a virtual copy rather than the original? Its just I want to have the ability to undo any chances in the same way you can with LR but I'm guessing that once you export back from Element into LR those changes won't be able to be changed - I hope I've explained myself here ;o)
      Tigger,
      Before I work on an image in LR I make a virtual Copy of the image and actually work on the Virtual Copy. I know this is not really necessary as all my images are in RAW but by doing this I have an image which I may like this week which has been through LR and CS5 and next week I might think... what would the image look like if I did this instead of that so back to the original image, make another virtual copy and away I go again and I still have the previous image which I have worked on and liked.
      Hope this makes sense.
      I also use NIK by Google either from LR or from CS5 (as you have Elements you can also use NIK). NIK is a very powerful plug-in and well worth looking at. There are a ton of tutorials on You Tube on how to use NIK.
      David

Comment

cheers guys

but its holding onto the original image in LR that I want to do - If I create a virtual copy can that one be exported to Elements rather than the original?

I've not installed Elements yet I'll be downloading a trial version hopefully tonight - I've heard of NIK David but not got round to looking into it

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Tigger,
          My Virtual Copy is worked in LR then exported to CS5 (in your case Elements) worked again, exported back to LR then exported to a directory where I keep my competition images. My original image is never worked on which is why I can go back to it and create another Virtual image and start all over again.
          You can also stack the virtual copies so if you have 6 virtual copies you can stack them all together and you can review them side by side to delete the ones you do not want.
          As Tom said LR creates a copy and when you export it to Elements it creates a copy with the word Edit in the file name, when you rework the original it creates another with the word Edit appearing twice in the file name.

LR doesn't keep a copy of the image it keeps a record of where the image is as it is a huge database of links.
          Last edited by djguk47; 11-07-2014, 15:24. Reason: stupid grammer
          David

Comment

Thanks David - that makes it clear

Cheers guys for your help ;o)

Comment

just as a thought does anyone here that use LR get brownie points if I download from a recommendation from you? I know some software offer this, if Elements / LR does then please send me the link and I will use that

Comment

Only if you are ordering from Google, then my photography club gets a small % of the transaction but at no cost to you whatsoever.
                This % is for anything whatsoever that you may order from Google.

David

Comment

Happy to help David .. I'll use your link

Comment

I've not used either but is there enough additional facility in Elements to make it worth doing? I thought LR was pretty powerful in it's own right...
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

its the content aware that I want and LR doesn't offer this - plus its got some other neat editing filters that LR doesn't have - for the money its worth it just to use content aware as I'm fed up trying to move / cut / edit content from photos in LR

Comment

its the content aware that I want and LR doesn't offer this - plus its got some other neat editing filters that LR doesn't have - for the money its worth it just to use content aware as I'm fed up trying to move / cut / edit content from photos in LR
                        Fair enough.
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Happy to help David .. I'll use your link
                          Thanks Tigger
                          David

Comment

Tigger
                            It seems a bit more complicated in Elements than Photoshop but I have looked on the web and found a video by Tim Grey that I think will help you
                            In Google type, Using Lightroom and Elements together and that should get a tv.Adobe .com box with the 9.21 min video, sorry do not know how to paste links

Alan

Comment

Regards ,
                              Norman

Comment

Working...
                              X