Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original 5D not recognised by Canon software on Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original 5D not recognised by Canon software on Mac?

Question; Some time ago I installed the whole suite of Canon software (what a mess) onto my Mac (it was even worse on my PC) and I can plug in my 7D which is recognised OK but when I plug in my 5D Classic it's very own Canon software does not recognise it.

The only way I can read images is to remove the CF Card from the 5D, insert it in the 7D and then connect the 7D to the Mac.

iPhoto on the Mac however does recognise the camera as a 5D when plugged in via USB.

Is it possible Canon dropped support for the original 5D somewhere along the way and by installing the later software for the 7D it is not aware of the 5D?

How would I get Canon's own software to recognise its own hardware? By installing the software from the original CD that came with the 5D?

Wouldn't this overwrite some of the later drivers/software with outdated versions or have I missed a trick here?

Anyone else experienced this or have I ignored the obvious somewhere along the line?

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=

Re: Original 5D not recognised by Canon software on Mac?

You don't elaborate enough on this ,but I will assume that your downloading via a camera to mac with a cable ,there are two possible cures if that's the problem ,or both .
    First off get a good card reader at least usb2 I use a Lexar one which is superb ,and next ensure all your apple software downloads are installed ,a lot of people skip these important updates .this should cure your problems .just click on the apple logo top left to update your mac

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      First off get a good card reader at least usb2 I use a Lexar one which is superb ,and next ensure all your apple software downloads are installed ,a lot of people skip these important updates .this should cure your problems .just click on the apple logo top left to update your mac
      agree, why mess around plugging leads into your cameras when all you need do is pop the card out and the CR can be left plugged in ready
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I run a Windows system, and when I upgraded to Windows 7 my 5D stopped working/communicating with my PC.
        Newer operating systems, probably Apple ones too, use 64-bit architecture, and a Canon does not produce new drivers for its old cameras such as the 5D that are compatible with this type of O/S.
        As has been already said, get yourself a USB 3.0 card reader instead :)
        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Working...
        X