OSX Yosemite @ Elements 11 & 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSX Yosemite @ Elements 11 & 12

For those that haven't loaded Yosemite be aware that Yosemite breaks the smart tools for Elements 11 & 12 using the trackpad. It works using a wired mouse but not the trackpad. Talk to Apple and they tell you it is an Adobe problem, Adobe says it is an apple problem because it worked on the previous version of the OS.

Previous versions of Elements work with Yosemite and Adobe will tell you that Elements 13 works with Yosemite so you need to pay $80 to upgrade to 13. So that tells me that Adobe has a fix but has no intention of issuing a fix for 11 or 12 because they want you to upgrade to 13.

Tom

Re: OSX Yosemite @ Elements 11 & 12

mmmmm annoying !!

I've not upgraded yet as I wanted to make sure there were no other bugs in adobe products, especially the ones I use for my business

I've got a new MacBook turning up next week and will be loading it with all the software and testing that as I'm guessing it will come with Yosemite installed
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I guess its fortunate I am no position to update my iMac at the moment.
      Andy

Comment

Interesting - I have just bought an iMac and am about to put Yosemite on it (clean install) then Elements 12 ... and I use a trackpad - but I keep a wired mouse connected for those little fiddle bits!
        Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

EOS Utility and DPP are not compatible with Yosemite either.
          I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

I updated to Yosemite yesterday and use Elements 11, everything I use in Elements seemed to work OK when using either the track pad or magic mouse but after reading your message I did try the smart tools (don't normally use these) and yes they don't work properly.
            I would have thought adobe would eventually do a fix for 11 & 12, but I'm not too worried since I usually use 11 in expert mode.

Buttons

Comment

Originally posted by CanonLad View Post
              EOS Utility and DPP are not compatible with Yosemite either.
              boy I bet theres a lot of annoyed Canon users

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I've been waiting to upgrade to Yosemite to see if this gets sorted out since I use Elements 11 and don't see enough reasons to pay for 13 yet. At the moment I only have a trackpad, but for some while now I've been thinking that a mouse would be better for fine editing anyway. So I'm going to get a cheapo mouse and see how I get on. If I find I prefer that anyway then I'll upgrade and get a decent mouse. If not, I'll wait a while and ponder.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I've downloaded Elements 13 and can verify that the smart tools work well in 13 using the trackpad. So that tells me that Adobe knows the fix but is not in a hurry to provide that fix to Elements 11 or 12.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    I've downloaded Elements 13 and can verify that the smart tools work well in 13 using the trackpad. So that tells me that Adobe knows the fix but is not in a hurry to provide that fix to Elements 11 or 12.
                    I wonder why

Comment

I got my new iMac on Friday and not a moment too soon ... the old iMac display hung up the towel on Saturday morning, fortunately just after I'd set the transfers going to get my music and photographs off. I had a real problem getting email off though, but managed it eventually.

I've installed Lightroom and that's working OK, I'm using iPhoto for the moment for photographs, but dare I try to install Elements? I have an old copy of Elements 10 ... does anyone know if that'll work?

Comment

Elements 10 works, just 11 & 12 smart tools do not work

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
                          I got my new iMac on Friday and not a moment too soon ... the old iMac display hung up the towel on Saturday morning, fortunately just after I'd set the transfers going to get my music and photographs off. I had a real problem getting email off though, but managed it eventually.

I've installed Lightroom and that's working OK, I'm using iPhoto for the moment for photographs, but dare I try to install Elements? I have an old copy of Elements 10 ... does anyone know if that'll work?
                          mine turns up on Wednesday but will only be putting LR on but glad to hear that runs OK

Comment

Well, that's interesting! Given what I'd read on the 'net, I decided not to install Elements 12 on my new iMac. with Yosemite

Today, I really needed to tweak an image and thought, OK, it doesn't work with my trackpad, but surely it'll work with a mouse.

I installed Elements 12, imported the photograph (then realised I seldom use the Auto Enhance side of things anyway!), but just as an experiment, I tried a few things. No problems to report here! It all seems to work OK.

Now, bear in mind this is a clean install of Yosemite and Elements, can someone tell me what I can try to replicate this problem that seems to be so widely reported?

Comment

My wife ran into the same problem without my realising. There's a plugin you can install that allows you to use the trackpad - http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...gs-in-yosemite

It seems to work for her so far...
                              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                              X