Problems getting Camera Raw 6.1 update to work in PSE8 on a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems getting Camera Raw 6.1 update to work in PSE8 on a Mac

Done all of the things it says to in the Adobe download instructions.

Downloaded the plug in and added the new camera Raw file to the correct folder within PSE8. Fired up PSE 8 and Adobe Bridge and still can't open the .CR2 files.

I've tried shutting down and restarting but to no avail.

Anyone any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong. My camera EOS 550D is in the camera Raw 6.1 update so it ought to work.

Re: Problems getting Camera Raw 6.1 update to work in PSE8 on a Mac

In the Windows version (which works) you have to drop the plug-in (after extracting it from the ZIP ... I guess the RAR in the Apple World?) into two folders (under Elements Organiser 8/plug-in/File Formats as well as Photoshop Elements 8/plug-in/File Formats) if you are doing the update manually ... a friend (with an EOS550D as it happens) tried updating BUT only updated the PE8 folder and not the EO8 folder and he couldn't get things to work.

HTH

Comment

Thanks for this MX. Will have a look at this later and update you. Cheers

Comment

[QUOTE=MX5;16126]In the Windows version (which works) you have to drop the plug-in (after extracting it from the ZIP ... I guess the RAR in the Apple World?) into two folders (under Elements Organiser 8/plug-in/File Formats as well as Photoshop Elements 8/plug-in/File Formats) if you are doing the update manually ... a friend (with an EOS550D as it happens) tried updating BUT only updated the PE8 folder and not the EO8 folder and he couldn't get things to work.

MX - had time as it happened. Looked in all PSE 8 folders but can't find Elements Organiser 8 folder within the program. Confused??

Comment

Does the MAC have Elements Organiser? In Windows the two parts of PE8 are independent and stored under the Adobe directory as sub-directories called 'Elements Organiser 8' and 'Photoshop Elements 8'. Each of these having it's own plug-in sub-directory:

/Adobe/Elements Organiser 8/plug-ins/File Formats
          /Adobe/Photoshop Elements 8/plug-ins/File Formats

Comment

Can't see Elements Organiser in folder at all. May need to contact Adobe support. Thanks anyway. I'll use dpp for raw processing for now. Only just begun using it so know little about it.

Comment

Found this as an explanation on upgrading but I guess you already have this info:
              Mac:
              Photoshop Elements
              NOTE: You must follow all of the new instructions in order to successfully install the Camera Raw Plug-in for Photoshop Elements.
              1. Exit Photoshop Elements and Adobe Bridge
              2. Open the download file and double-click CameraProfiles.dmg and follow the on-screen instructions.
              3. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the user’s home folder).
              4. Navigate to the following location:
              a. Photoshop Elements 8: Applications/PSE8/Plug-Ins/File Formats
              5. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
              6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4.
              7. Launch Photoshop Elements or Adobe Bridge.

HTH

jhdee
              jhdee

Comment

Yeah thanks. Those were the instructions I followed originally. No idea why it doesn't work to be honest.

Comment

Well that's me done - would be most grateful if you find the answer if you could post it in here please Christoff - I have PSE 8 on a Mac too and will eventually upgrade to Camera Raw 6.1 but I don't need to yet.

jhdee
                  jhdee

Comment

I certainly will post the answer when I work it out. I'm awaiting a call back from Adobe support which hopefully will be soon.

Comment

I have a Mac and I'am using PSE 8 and the Bridge CS4 organizer that came with it. Recently I bought a Canon 550D. Neither PSE or Bridge would show or open a 550D .CR2 file.
                      So I upgraded adobe camera raw to version 6.1 by downloading the PSE 8.0 specific ACR 6.1 file from Adobe and dragged the camera raw plugin in the Applications/PSE8/Plug-Ins/File Formats folder. I also installed the camera profiles by double clicking it, don't know if you need them to make ACR 6.1 work. PSE 8.0 now will open the 550D .CR2 files , using camera raw 6.1. with the usual limited set of controls available. So far so good. Adobe Bridge CS4 however still did not recognize the files. Purging the Adobe Bridge cache did not help either.
                      I tried dragging the camera raw plugin into the \library\application support/adobe/plug-ins/CS4/file formats folder, replacing the existing Bridge ACR plugin. After restarting Adobe bridge: no luck, it refuses to show the 550D's .CR2 files. It kept using my ACR 5.0.
                      I found the solution on the adobe userforum. A member stated that Adobe bridge CS4, that came with PSE 8.0, cannot use ACR 6.1, only Bridge CS5 can. But Adobe won't allow a upgrade to Bridge CS5.
                      The solution is using the highest available version for Bridge CS4; ACR 5.7.
                      So I downloaded ACR 5.7 and dragged the plugin to the same /library/application support/adobe/plug-ins/CS4/file formats folder, replacing the existing plugin and restarted Adobe Bridge.
                      At first no luck, but after purging the Bridge cache everything works fine: Adobe Bridge now uses ACR 5.7 and it can show and open the .CR2 files of the 550D.
                      By the way; if I now open a .CR2 file by double clicking on it, the file will open in PSE 8, using ACR 6.1 with its limited set of controls. If I rightclick the file, I can choose to open it with camera raw, which now will be the ACR 5.7, with its full set of controls enabled, like it did before with my ACR 5.0. The difference of course is that I now can use my 550D .CR2 files.
                      Best regards
                      Last edited by RedHerring; 25-07-2010, 14:18.
                      Ron

Comment

Are you sure your using a Mac version, as I can only find the 6.1 for PSE8 Windows download ?

Comment

Hi Mark,
                          Yes it is a Mac version
                          http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...form=Macintosh will take you to the Photoshop Elements for Macintosh page, the first one, Camera Raw 6.1 update, links to:
                          http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4729 where you can download the file.
                          As for the ACR 5.7 to use in Bridge, i just followed the link on the adobeforum. This is a Mac version too. Because I just followed a link from the forum.adobe webpage, i am not sure if this is a PSE 8.0 specifiic version too, or the generic Mac version that is used in PS. If needed i can try to find the link in the adobe forum again.

Just found it! :
                          http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4680
                          Last edited by RedHerring; 27-07-2010, 18:01.
                          Ron

Comment

Working...
                          X