Workflow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workflow...

I've been using LR5 and using the catalogue, folder, collection structure. I've tried to rationalise my folders from within the Lightroom App and copied all my files from the Finder Pictures folder to an external drive. Now Lightroom has lost its folder structure and collections along with all my editing too. So i just have the originals in folders and a backup on the external drive.
    Any ideas on what went wrong? Do you have a better workflow?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Workflow...

if all you did was copy folders I don't see how LR would have lost them - you sure you didn't "cut" or "move"

my workflow once I've processed is I export the images into another "finished" folder and from there into Iphoto and either upload to flickr or store them
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Brian the only thing I think you have done wrong is work from the finder, watching Tim Grey videos he always stresses whatever you do with you images do it from within Lightroom
      Lightroom will have created a folder with all your Catalogues and adjustments and meta data I would guess Lightroom does not know what you have done and just needs showing where they are, wish I could be more help but if you have not deleted the Lightroom folder All will be well

Alan

Comment

Thanks Guys, I did all the moves within Lightroom.....the only folders left in the Lightroom folder are some random back up folders.

I've not been exporting files routinely - only as I need to - to a temporary desktop folder before uploading to Flickr.
        I think Lightroom has glitched in a big way. No images lost, just the processing data.

In future I'm now looking at copying from the SD card to a named folder in Pictures - then importing that folder to Lightroom....and then exporting the processed images as TIFFs to the same original Pictures folder.........does that sound like a plan?
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Hi Brian that's my method and works fine for me.,when I open the file in pictures I have my raw images plus sub folders containing the prosessed stuff.Going off track I'm sure if you change the file name and the images are still in lr ,it shows the photo but states no folder found not sure if that helps your issue though
          Last edited by Dave s; 11-10-2015, 19:27.

Comment

many Thanks Dave...I don't understand the sudden dissappearence of folders in lightroom....but you have confirmed what I should have done...i've been relying on the Lightroom process and file linkage and have not kept proper processed copies.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Brian, just a thought do a search on your hard drive for folders .lrcat and if you find one open it and open a catalogue and on my machine it asked if I wanted to relaunch the catalogue

Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan, that has found several .lrcat files....double clicking gives me the option to launch LR5 with that catalogue...one of which has found last years pictures...but I can't find 2015....ill keep looking...cheers!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

For what it's worth Brian, I import all my new files directly from the SD or CF card using a reader into a folder straight into LR. Typically this is a new sub folder within the main LR structure. Any that are processed and worth printing or sharing I export to the same folder but inside a new folder called 'processed'

Within Finder I then choose my external drive which is where all LR files are stored and look for the 'processed' folder from there.

I'm not saying that's the right way, but the way that works for me.
                  Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
                    Brian, just a thought do a search on your hard drive for folders .lrcat and if you find one open it and open a catalogue and on my machine it asked if I wanted to relaunch the catalogue

Alan
                    Alan, you are a STAR! I've now found the correct .lrcat file, relaunched Lightroom and 15,900 images have now been restored....many thanks!!!
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Never been a STAR before Your very welcome

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X