Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are times I just despair with the software industry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are times I just despair with the software industry.

Start of rant.

A few months ago, I upgraded from Lightroom 4 to Lightroom 6. The licence allows installation on 2 computers, but every time I tried to do the 2nd install to my laptop, it told me I had reached the installation limit, and I needed to deactivate the software on one machine. Cue a couple of hours on Adobe's chat line where they finally diagnosed a problem with my online account.

Last week I received an email from Adobe offering half price Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, which I decided to take them up on. After clicking on "Buy now" in the email, I had Photoshop and Premiere Elements in my basket. When clicking Checkout, it showed I was buying Lightroom 6!!. I clicked Edit at the checkout, which took me back to the basket, which showed I was buying Photoshop and Premiere Elements, and so on and so on. Cue another hour on Adobe's chat where they diagnosed a cookie problem, and asked me to clear them, or try another browser. Using another browser solved the problem.

One rugby world cup match later, and I had downloaded Photoshop and Premiere Elements. I started by installing Photoshop, which went normally, but... every time I clicked on the icon to start it, nothing happened. No error message, no process running, nothing in the event log. The only suggestion from any posts on the internet was to try and install again, which I did, and this time it worked!!

On to Premiere Elements, which again installed perfectly, but gave an error saying 3ivx.dll could not be found when I tried to run it. More help from Google pointed to a problem with Apple's Quicktime, and suggested uninstalling it and installing the latest version. Uninstallation went fine, but after downloading the latest version, the installer told me the software was only valid on Windows Vista, and Windows 7. Ahem, I'm running Windows 7!! Luckily, Premiere seems to run without Quicktime anyway.

I'm dreading installing both of these on my laptop later.

I've worked in IT for 40 years, so I managed to muddle through. Am I just unlucky, or is this truly the state of IT these days. How on earth do non IT photographers cope with this shambles?

End of rant.

Re: There are times I just despair with the software industry.

Hi Scarletti,

I think the way the software industry thinks these days is that all end users are beta-testers - that way they can sell stuff sooner and someone else does the work of finding the problems.

I note you are in "Tadley God Help Us". We lived there for a number of years. Are you "behind the wire"?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post

Are you "behind the wire"?
      No, I'm probably one of the very few in Tadley that doesn't work behind the wire

Comment

Originally posted by scarletti View Post
        S

I've worked in IT for 40 years, so I managed to muddle through. Am I just unlucky, or is this truly the state of IT these days. How on earth do non IT photographers cope with this shambles?

End of rant.
        Judging by the ongoing disaster that is our recent IT upgrade at work I'd say true state...

As a non-IT photographer I'm not looking forward to having to replace my XP system with the over automated, undercooked and primary school graphic riddled mess that seems to be Windows today...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
        X