Question about DPP in Win and Mac vers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about DPP in Win and Mac vers.

I use win 7 and use now both 350D and 50D - (mainly now 50D and of course the 50D uses 14 bit as opposed to 12 bit on the 350). The win ver of DPP raw tab - does not show the extra DR, e.g it shows -9 to 3.8, whereas some shots of the Mac, (I assume it's a Mac), I've seen show -11 to 3.8. (also 14 bit).

The 350 shows -9 to 3.5, so there is a small difference.

So can those who use Mac confirm this and those who use Win confirm this. Does this make a difference when doing raw conversion? Does it really matter? Any idea as to why Mac shows one representation and Win shows another. Should my ver of DPP show the shadow range to -11 on 14 bit cameras? OR is this just the difference between Win and Mac?

I am rather intrigued by the difference!
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Question about DPP in Win and Mac vers.

On a Mac using a 30D

Same computer using 1D4

With Highlight Tone Priority enabled

Comment

Thanks Mark, I think the 30D is 12 bit and the 1D4 is 14 bit ??

Anyone use Win? - what does it show on your computer. If there is a difference, can anyone explain this? Is this simply down to the OS and the writers of DPP? I hope someone out there is able to answer this - or nobody knows and it's a secret only known to Canon!
      Richard

Comment

What it does show is that using Highlight Tone Priority, what you gain in the highlights you lose in the shadows.

Comment

eeyore, I use DPP on Windows 7 and shoot with a 50D. I see the same as Mark has shown. i.e. -10 to +4

David
          David

Comment

David, that's a bit strange. On my computer, it's different - hence my question. I see -9 to +4/3.8,9.

I don't know why this is the case. My OP is also win 7. When using HTP, I see a difference (-8 - +3.9)

I've reinstalled the software from the disk that came with the 50D - v22.1, but no difference!

any ideas why this difference?

Is there anyone else that is in my position?
            Richard

Comment

Hi Eeyore, I do not have HTP turned on as I use ISO 100 quite often and having HTP on limits the ISO to 200, or at least this is what I read about 3 minutes ago...

I have now exhausted all my knowledge on this subject so it is up to someone else to pick up the mantle and run with it...

Have you upgraded DPP to the latest release from the Canon site??

David
              David

Comment

Working...
              X