PS Elements ACR & DNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Elements ACR & DNG

My current editing software is PS Elements version 7 in which I use Adobe Camera Raw to edit my raw files. I just upgraded my camera from a 1000d to a 550d and could not understand why PSE Organiser couldn't find the raw files from my new camera. When I tried to open one with PSE Editor and got a message that the file type wasn't recognised, the penny dropped, I needed to upgrade the ACR version.
    No problem I thought, off to Adobe's website to upgrade, I then read the blurb which told me a) I need ACR 6.2 for the 550d and b) PSE7 only supports up to ACR 5.6. It seemed that I had only two choices, to use DPP for my raw editing or to upgrade to PSE9.
    Then I got some great advice from the Elements Village website - download & install Adobe's free DNG converter, which creates a DNG (digital negative) RAW version of my CR2 files, which ACR 5.6 recognises. The software is small and simple, the process is quick, about 5 seconds per file, and I still have the original CR2 files should I wish to use them when I finally upgrade.
    Colin

Kit - 550d, canon 18-135mm & 55- 250mm & 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-300mm VC USD

Re: PS Elements ACR & DNG

Chardy,
    Two questions if you do not mind....

Why not use DPP??
    My reasoning for using DPP is that I use Canon equipment because I believe in the quality so why not use software which is specificially written for my equipment.
    Why use a third party application which has been written to cater for all sorts of "other" equipment ??

Why "mess around" with DNG which is adding yet more files to your computer??

I have just upgraded from Elements 7 to Elements 9 and the upgrade, I believe, is a worthwhile upgrade. I wouldn't bother going from 8 to 9 though.
    I upgraded Elements and Premier Elements as I also "play" with video for about £90 direct from Adobe.
    Have a look at the comparison between 6, 7, 8 & 9 http://www.adobe.com/products/photos.../?view=compare

David
    David

Comment

Hi David

That's a fair question (or two).

I was using PSE before I got my Canon camera and started to use ACR when I first started to shoot raw. I guess I just feel more comfortable with the system that I know.
      I've tried using DPP and I just don't feel that the adjustment controls are as versatile or intuitive as ACR. but I'm a very long way from being an expert, so I could easiliy be wrong.
      I will probably upgrade to PSE 9 soon, but I've just shelled out around £900 for the new camera and lens and am suffering from wallet exaustion. In the interim, hard drive real estate is cheap and plentiful.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

I think that what David was suggesting was to use DPP for the conversion instead of RAW - and then use PSE as usual. I do this using the Batch facility in DPP, so it only takes a couple of minutes for a whole shoot.
        ef-r

Comment

Hi Brian

I understood David to mean use DPP for the Raw processing, then use PSE for the final processing.
          It's the Raw conversion on DPP that I'm not really at home with.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

It is worth the effort as DPP is simple and efficient and always supports your camera without buying/installing new software
            ef-r

Comment

Thanks for your responses, I guess I should give DPP another try.
              SWMBO is away for the weekend leaving me to my own devices. I may have a geeky weekend doing some comparative workflows.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X