Have moved to an iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have moved to an iMac

Am giving up on my failing PC and have bought an iMac with Snow Leopard OSX 10.6. Previously used DPP 3.1 for raw conversion and curves etc and Elements 2. Have loaded DPP which I intend to update from the Canon web site and am considering buying Elements 9 for more serious tweaking. Would welcome comments as to any alternatives I should consider and pitfalls to avoid etc.

Many thanks,

Tony

Re: Have moved to an iMac

Hello Tony

Congratulations on your choice. DPP and PSE 9 will be fine and the obvious choice.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

The only thing you find with DPP is you can't drag files from one folder to another in the OSX version.

Comment

Colin, many thanks for the confirmation. Useful comment Mark. I have tried it and the programme certainly does not like it! Will have to organise files through the finder application or Image Browser.

Tony

Comment

Hello Tony,

You might consider to use Apple's Aperture.
          If you look on the Apple website there is a trial version available for free for 15 days.

Tjerk

Comment

Hello Tjerk,

Thanks for the suggestion. There are some very mixed reviews of the latest version of Aperture on the Apple web site.

Tony

Comment

I have recently got Aperture (£45 from the mac app store) and I'm very impressed by it.

I had in the past downloaded the trial version and had not seen anything worth spending the £180 on, but I now think it's a very good tool, I hate to say it but I'm getting better and quicker results out of it than DPP.

Comment

I keep seeing Apples, especially when I'm in John Lewis and keep thinking I should get one for the photography side of what I do. It's a long time since I had a new Apple ... that was an Apple II back in the late 70's.

Comment

I haven't looked back after buying my Imac, I enjoy the experience much better than my laptop. I use it for everything, not just my photo editing as I had planned to.

John

Comment

Would be interested to hear of Imac users experiences with regard to viruses and other malware. Is the system as safe as they say? Has anyone had any problems with viruses? Has anyone loaded anti virus software and if so which programmes are recommended? So far I have switched on the firewall in the system and am hoping that will be enough.

Tony

Comment

A friend of mine had a virus on his Mac and he said it was a complete pain. Took him two days to install it...
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

In fact i believe that Mac can be infected as well, and i feel my computer is infected, but comparing to PC, i use Mac just since 2008 and i never use AV software, i installed one and i run it and the result was ZERO virus, and maybe i am wrong and my computer has another problem not a virus, but i can open hundreds of applications and no fail, only it became so loaded up when i open thousands of websites on 2 different browsers, and it failed once, on the other hand, with PC i am weekly doing scan and repair and maintenance and AV/malware checking and so, and many failures as well, and many times formats, i did once format only with Mac Mini model 2009 due to a damage on some files, since thou i never formatted again, and my other 2 Mac Book Pro working fine except my old Mac Book Pro 17" model 2008 my first ever Mac didn't work due to a Graphic card failure, fixed it and it is working flawlessly now and i am very happy with Mac, my photography improved significantly with Mac over PC, my workflow is quicker and smoother or say easier now, Mac is a time-saver for me, and the quality i see on my monitor is incredible!!!

Comment

I have had no problems (reaching for piece of wood to touch) but I have installed Kaspersky AV software just in case. Kaspersky give you a 90 trial, so you can try before you buy.

John

Comment

Sophos do a free home edition AV for Mac and it might be worth trying that after your Kaspersky trial expires.

Also have a read of Apple Mac malware: A short history (1982-2010) if you're interested in the history of malware for the Mac.

Comment

No shared or networked computer (well no computer period) can be immune from catching a virus without protection. It’s just the vast majority of miscreants (many of these are actually very bright indeed) are familiar with the weaknesses and vulnerabilities in Windows and not so familiar with Unix and it’s genre ... yet. But because of the increasing popularity of Unix derived operating systems (I include Snow Leopard here) this balance will even out. So don’t be complacent if you are a Mac user ... get it protected ... firewall, AVS, et al.

In fact there are claims in computer security circles that OS X Snow Leopard is more vulnerable to attack than Windows Vista and above because it lacks full address space layout randomization.

Comment

Working...
                              X