EU stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU stopped working

Anyone know a cure for this, it seems to have been around for a while now. Mine stopped working suddenly and despite updating everything,checking usb connections and the usual I phoned canon. They said it was an OS problem and I should update the chipset drivers to see if this would help. It didn't! I've been on this about three days now...if I connect the camera to my vista machine everything works okay it is just this XP machine that has screwed up.. I have found plenty of posts about this online but no solutions yet?

Any ideas as to why this would happen out of the blue or advice, greatly appreciated

Re: EU stopped working

OK What is EU?
    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

EOS Utility?

You can sometimes knobble the USB drivers on XP if you do an installation or upgrade with the camera plugged into a USB socket. I know I did that years ago.

So it required removing all the Canon software, the USB drivers and then reinstalling everything and updating ... before plugging the camera in.

Comment

That must be what I did George bear, in fact I was up until 4 am this morning removing every canon related thing from my system,plus all other camera stuff as well in semi paranoid frustration.This is my fourth day on this, I could only find other peoples examples of the same problem on various forums but not a definitive solution. It seems to have driven everyone else mad as well. I am far from computer savvy but thought I would go for it and removed registry entries and drivers for any camera stuff I came across, even phones, I did a search for all files with eos utility and canon in them and removed them. The funny thing is the eos utility could not be removed at first, kept getting a 'file source not available' or something come up when I tried to delete it. But I must have removed the right thing somewhere because its gone now. and was the only file left. I think, from what I have read that it is the problem of not being able to remove the eos utility completely when uninstalling etc that causes this problem!

So I am just about to reinstall all the canon software and hopefully be able to get on with my life again, if it still won't work after all this I give up!

Thanks for confirming what I sort of sussed out George, hope it works.

Comment

ruddles - you may want to run a registry checker (Norton Utilities / 360 or similar) before doing anything else. I wouldn't normally recommend tinkering with the registry but your approach was correct.

Did you have a System Restore Point from before you started tinkering? Might be prudent to do one whilst the computer is still okay. (Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore).

In fact if everything you do still fails ... you could check if there is a viable System restore point prior to when the 'trouble' started.

Comment

I did lose my registry virginity last night George, but to be honest I was pretty eoscidal by then and didn't much care if I messed things up. I will do that registry checker thing and I do have a restore point available and will do another before proceeding as you suggest.

Thanks again mate, I will post the outcome

Comment

I seem to have got it all working again, proves you were right George, must have done the same thing as you with the usb thing.

If this happens to anyone else, do what I did and remove every last vestige of EOS utility and everything canon from every part of your system! Then, reinstall every thing and update it, leaving EOS utility until last.

That is the result of four days almost solid headbanging and idiot blundering around the net.

If anyone here can re-interpret what I have done and possibly proved,then it would be an humanitarian act to articulate it here for other tech wallies like me to find.

What a bloody performance, but I have tethered shooting back!

Comment

OMG - It's enough to drive you to buying a Mac !!

Comment

I seem to have got it all working again, proves you were right George, must have done the same thing as you with the usb thing.
                  H.T.H.

Comment

Working...
                  X