Recommend a good ftp client for Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a good ftp client for Mac

On windows I use smartftp, which has served me well, but they don't do a mac version.

My main requirement is the ability to copy the URL from my remote server, and paste the image into a forum post (so the url will look something like this:- http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/Ilkley_25_3_11/1DSL2592.jpg)

I've tried a couple (filezilla, classic ftp), but they don't , or I can't get them to configure to the URL type I want?

Any help would be appreciated
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Recommend a good ftp client for Mac

CuteFTP - I know a few who use it .. not sure it'll do what you want.

Have you tried starting the URL ftp://ftp.lesmclean.co.uk .... ? ).

Anyway Les, I'm not too clear what you are trying to do. If you are pasteing a link into a forum page to point at a remote servers (is that Windows, Unix, Mac?) filestore then it doesn't matter what the client is (as the browser will do the work). I must be missing an important point (or had a senior moment and misunderstood ).

Comment

I use explorer in Windows - is there not the equivalent on the Mac?
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
        CuteFTP - I know a few who use it .. not sure it'll do what you want.

Have you tried starting the URL ftp://ftp.lesmclean.co.uk .... ? ).

Anyway Les, I'm not too clear what you are trying to do. If you are pasting a link into a forum page to point at a remote servers (is that Windows, Unix, Mac?) filestore then it doesn't matter what the client is (as the browser will do the work). I must be missing an important point (or had a senior moment and misunderstood ).
        Sorry George, it looks as though I didn't make myself clear ?

When I want to post an image on the forum, I use images that I've placed on my remote server (lesmclean.co.uk), I then open my server using smart ftp, right click on the image I want to post (from the server), select 'copy url'

Then selecting the 'insert image icon' in the forum post, and paste the copied URL into the box to display the image in the post

It's so quick & easy to do, that I am looking for something similar (without success) for a mac.
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Les - I am still not clear where FTP gets involved. (as you aren't actually copying a file, so are you just using ftp to view remote directories?). As far as I can see ... you are just putting the URL of a remote filestore image into the clipboard and then putting that into this forums Add Image.

Can you not see the remote server through Explorer (or it's Mac equivalent) then right click on the remote file and see a URL? Copy that into the clipboard and paste that into 'insert image'.

Sorry been a long day so I may well be misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
            Les - I am still not clear where FTP gets involved. (as you aren't actually copying a file, so are you just using ftp to view remote directories?). As far as I can see ... you are just putting the URL of a remote filestore image into the clipboard and then putting that into this forums Add Image.

Can you not see the remote server through Explorer (or it's Mac equivalent) then right click on the remote file and see a URL? Copy that into the clipboard and paste that into 'insert image'.

Sorry been a long day so I may well be misunderstanding.
            yep, I can see the remote file via explorer, and under Safari (mac), the problem is that the server interface is not very user friendly, it's Cpanel (Linux), so I can't see the thumbnails in the directories (just the file name), and when I copy & paste the URL it mangles it up.

I was able to use smartftp (on windows) as a neat interface, and was easily configured to do what I needed it to do.

I was hoping for something similar for the mac.

Don't worry, I have loads of senior moments

Comment

Finally cracked it,

Found Fireftp a free ftp plug-in client for Firefox.

So you can configure it that by right clicking a file (image) on a remote server, it returns a http link (suitable for inserting images on this forum) instead of a ftp link.

Normally just by going to my server via browser, and right clicking an image link, I get a URL something like this,

ftp://ftp.lesmclean.co.uk/public_htm...n/IMG_5334.jpg

which is not suitable for inserting images.

With Fireftp running, I can right click on an image and return a URL something like this,

Which works splendidly

Only issue I have now, is the image links show up as a list rather than thumbnails, but at least I am 90% there.

So thanks George, even though you didn't provide a solution, you steered me in the direction I needed to go, i.e. rather than looking for a stand alone program, a browser add on was the answer.

Comment

Well you got there before my suggested it Les, as I've been using Fireftp for a long time now.

Never tried posting an image using it though.

As for it only showing a list and not thumbnails, well it's an ftp client and not a browser you know , but thinking about it that would be nice if it did show images.
                Last edited by Mark; 01-04-2011, 17:47.

Comment

Further update, not being able to view thumbnail images in my ftp client on a mac, I've installed VMWare Fusion, so I can run Windows 7 within my mac, meaning I can open a window and run smartftp under win7, thereby being able to see thumbnails prior to uploading.

There are a number of other issues that have been niggling me on a mac, such things as not being able to see any upcoming appointments in a pane at the front page of an e-mail client (like you can in outlook), a kind of workaround has been thunderbird with 'lightning' calendar extension, close but nowhere near as slick as win7/outlook combination.
                  A couple of other niggles that are not worth jotting down.

Mac's are great in a number of ways, but a host of hard work in a lot of other ways, and if I ever see someone say (in respect of a mac) 'they just work', I'm going to slap them with a wet haddock, cos clearly they don't :tongue:

Comment

Are you able to use Filezilla for Mac? If so, you should use Filezilla because free, very fast and gets a lot of free updates too. I've been using it for about year now together with my web host and I'm really pleased. It comes along with a lot of extra options !

Comment

Working...
                    X