GIMP software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIMP software

Just wondering, done a quick search through posts, does anyone else on the forum use GIMP?

I have been using it for a while (can't justify Photoshop expense) and it seems incredibly powerful for a free program

what do others think?

Ian
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Re: GIMP software

The only "moan" I have heard is that it may be a bit more difficult to get to grips with, otherwise I think people are happy with it.
    I have seen some great shots that have been "GIMP'd"

David
    David

Comment

Like Picasa which I recently reacquainted myself with I need to take another look at GIMP as it just might have improved since I last used it a decade or so ago But I too have heard from users it’s an intellectual challenge (in a similar way to the Panorama Toolset).

Anyway I’ll install and see. I recall the various floating windows aren’t to everyone’s taste.

Btw – Picasa does RAW (as far as I know GIMP doesn’t out of the box).

Comment

OK,thanks I'll have a look at picassa, but from a quick look it seems to cover the basics and RAW just like DPP which I already have and seem to be getting used to. GIMP on the other hand is more like an open free version of photoshop, with layers and all kinds of advanced functionality (I am sure it will always be some way behind the Photoshop standard, being a free open source program but it is really powerful)

The floating windows do take time to get used to and I always end up sizing them so they appear to look like a single window (I understand that a single window user interface is going to be an option in the new version 2.8 but no release date for that now).

I think between DPP for quick editing and GIMP for more advanced creative stuff I have it covered, I was just surprised not to see any mention of GIMP on the forum

you are correct about RAW and gimp, I had to install a free plug-in called UFRAW - but that was easy and it works fine

Ian
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

GIMP is a very good bit of software, but as others have said just not as user friendly as Photoshop!
          Regards Eddie.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I use GIMP and have downloaded a few of the scriptfu's.

Can't justify the cost of photoshop just yet. The floating windows are a bit weird, but at least you can move them up and down and out of the way when you want to.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

I have tried GIMP before and it was quite good considering how much you could save than investing in a Photoshop registration. Though for some, they would indulge in subscribing to ps as it would still feel different.

I first think that I could keep up with the interface of GIMP though you can sometimes get a little confused.

Comment

Used GIMP for a number of years and very impressed tho it took ages to get my head around all the features...Im not sure you need a seperate RAW converter...tho. I could be wrong. Theres also loads of resources out there for the GIMP and would recommend it if you are on a tight budget.
                hhcanon

Comment

I'm very impressed with gimp at a first glance. I can't afford photoshop so I plan to spend a bit of time getting to know gimp better. I use (and love) Lightroom so the raw thing isn't an issue.
                  Being adobe, the interface between lr& ps is very easy. I want to find out whether I can easily export from lr to gimp & back again.

Comment

Just a thought if you don't want the cost of having the full blown photoshop suite have you considered PS Elements, much much cheaper and works very well with lightroom using the 'Edit In' option under the 'Photo Tab'

Comment

PhotoShop Elements 9 is at very very reduced price at the moment as PSE 10 has just been announced.

David
                      David

Comment

Working...
                      X