CS4 book recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CS4 book recommendations

Having just taken up the upgrade from Elements to CS4 offer, can anyone recommend a beginners book for CS4, (I was even an Elements beginner). Also any comments on the Experience Seminars Photoshop courses would be welcome.

Cheers
    John

Re: CS4 book recommendations

This is a very good one, but probably not for a beginner. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photos...1970662&sr=1-6

I would suggest you go to a good book-store and actually look at them first.

Comment

You may like to check out the Scott Kelby books, they are rated highly by many photographers.
      Suze

Comment

I have Ellen Anons CS4 for nature photographers which is ok-comes with a DVD as well

Comment

I have found Martin Evening to be very good at instructional books and have bought a number of his books since his Photoshop 7 days.

He is a professional Photographer and understands well what a photographer is looking for in a piece of software. (His book on Lightroom 2 is also very good).

You can find his website here:

The best one he has published for CS4 is CS4 for photographers, far better (and more content) than his latest 'The Ultimate Workshop'.

I would echo the previous advice, visit your nearest bookshop and check out what's available before ordering.

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
            This is a very good one, but probably not for a beginner. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photos...1970662&sr=1-6

I would suggest you go to a good book-store and actually look at them first.
            If you go to a bookshop to check them out do the decent thing and buy it there too. The philosophy of looking in shops and buying on-line has all but killed off the photo shops that used to be found on every high street.
            Regards ,
            Norman

Comment

I've got the Kelby one. I'd bought is Elements & Lightroom editions previously so knew what to expect. It's perfect for beginners I find because of the step by step style it's written in. Also worth looking at is an online tutorial site called Chromasia. It's subscription based but I've found it worthwhile as it really helps you to understand PS and what it is you are actually doing.
              Canon 5D & 40D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon 135L f2

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations and advice. Went to local bookshop which had the Martin Evening and Scott Kelby books. After several changes of mind, as they both seemed ideal, went for the Martin Evening one probably because of the DVD. I do agree with you Norman about buying locally when possible and paid £30 for the book when it is £24 on line (incl postage) but recently paid £750 for a lens when High St price is £950. I cant afford to pay extra £200 when not neccessary.

I would still welcome any comments about the Experience Seminars Photoshop courses.

Thanks for the help
                John

Comment

Is it really worth paying £99 when you can get the same out of the book you've just bought and the multitude of free web based tutorials?
                  Canon 5D & 40D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon 135L f2

Comment

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Martin Evening Book, I know I was.

With regards to Lightroom tutorials (free) you may find it worth a visit to:

or perhaps George Jardine's excellent blog site, where you can download free tutorials in Quicktime format.

Mike

Comment

You should look up Lynda.com for Photoshop video tutorials. You can subscribe for a monthly subscription. Look for tutorials by Deke McClelland

Comment

Working...
                      X