Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndyMulhearn
    replied
    The invert selection thing caught me out for a while but now I got my head around it, it’s:

1. Create a mask using select the subject
    2. Invert the selection to get the background
    3. Apply changes
    4. Create a second mask using select the subject
    5. Apply your changes to the subject

I got even more confused because some YouTubers seemed to be missing the invert selection option so were doing all sorts of gymnastics with gradient layers and subtracting the subject which is all pointless and not needed.

Leave a comment:

• Columbarius
    replied
    Thanks El Sid. It takes a bit of getting used to inasmuch as it works differently to PS. So if you select a subject and modify the selection, inverting it does not invert the modified selection. The way round it is to select subject and invert it (without making any modifications to the selection. Then modify the selection as necessary on the inverted image and make the necessary highlights/contrast/etc. adjustment. Then select the subject, make any necessary selection adjustments and then the LR adjustments.

It sounds harder than it is, but it is a different way of working.

Leave a comment:

• El Sid
    replied
    Looks good to me...

Leave a comment:

• Columbarius
    replied
    I had a little play with masking on the Red Admiral feeding on ivy blossom. Using select subject to bring up the butterfly, and an inverse mask to tone down the background. What do you think?

20211101-359A3995.jpg

Leave a comment:

• AndyMulhearn
    replied
    iPad user here and upgraded for the new version in Monday. I can’t see a reason to go for Photoshop on my iPad now as one of the two or three features missing from Lightroom has just been made available. Proper healing would be nice, but I can do that in other apps, as would a blur function to remove noise from the background but that’s about it and I’m not buying Photoshop for those…

Leave a comment:

• Alan_H
    replied
    Updated yesterday after an e mail from Matt Kloskowski web site where there are 2 videos showing how to use the new masking in Lightroom and Photoshop, tried on a few images and the subject and sky selection is amazing

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Farider
    replied
    I upgraded the Mac today but mainly use the iCloud version as it suits me better; still waiting for the iPad version.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• bobowen
    replied
    Just hanging on for few days in case some bugs emerge!
    Changes look good.

Leave a comment:

• Columbarius
    started a topic Lightroom 11

Lightroom 11

Any Lightroom Classic users out there? Adobe have today release V11 of Lightroom Classic (the one you used to buy as a stand-alone package). They've added Masking and Subject & Sky selection. The things I used to switch to Photoshop for.

I've installed it, it automatically creates a new upgraded catalog, and over the next couple of days I'll give it a spin.
Working...
X