DXO Pure Raw 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DXO Pure Raw 3

I have a 30 day trial....first impressions are very positive.....this speeds up the demonising and sharpening and any background blurring ...what took me 10 minutes on some bird shots yesterday has taken only two minutes max

DXO Robin1 by brianvickers, on Flickr

DXO bluetit1 by brianvickers, on Flickr

DXO Robin3 by brianvickers, on Flickr

DXO sparrow by brianvickers, on Flickr

Sparrow3 by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Last edited by @imagesBV; 09-12-2023, 20:08.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

This one taken at ISO12800, R7, RF100-500 with 2x extender (equivalent 1600mm) 1/1000 sec f14...processed in DPP-DXO-Affinity
    this challenges scepticism regarding high ISO, APSC sensors and extenders! Jeeeez!

PigeonISO12800 by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Sorry Brian but I can't see the point of all this messing around with a shot, I expect the camera to do the job when you consider what you pay for a camera and lens. To me it like having a top of the range car, you need to travel from Devon to Scotland - the car gets you as far as Carlisle then you have to take a bus to complete the journey.
      There seems to be this quest now to get every barb in detail on the bird. Only a few days ago someone showed me a picture he had taken of a Blackbird, he was delighted with the detail he had in the shot. The sad thing was it was a Rook,. To me the conservation and lifestyle of the creature I'm photographing is far more important than the picture.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
        Sorry Brian but I can't see the point of all this messing around with a shot, I expect the camera to do the job when you consider what you pay for a camera and lens. To me it like having a top of the range car, you need to travel from Devon to Scotland - the car gets you as far as Carlisle then you have to take a bus to complete the journey.
        There seems to be this quest now to get every barb in detail on the bird. Only a few days ago someone showed me a picture he had taken of a Blackbird, he was delighted with the detail he had in the shot. The sad thing was it was a Rook,. To me the conservation and lifestyle of the creature I'm photographing is far more important than the picture.
        Trust me.....you don't want to be getting the bus from Carlisle .

This is where I live by the way so I'm allowed to say this, but if you do need to, let me know

Comment

Though I have stated how I liked the previous shots on here, they are sharp as a razor, but hearing the details how you got them I agree with Trev, ( it has been my opinion since joining this forum) .

Comment

I have to side with the opposite on this. I think these are exceptional images and post processing is pretty essential. Now I do like a soft looking image, especially when shooting film. But even canon say that you will need to sharpen your images in post production.

Anyway....Brian, the first image of the sparrow still grabs my attention the most, but that last image of the sparrow here is . I'd want that one framed.

I think the software you have a trial of has certainly worked wonders in making these images sharp. And if it speeds the process up then it's win win. What's the cost involved? Only reason I ask was the original images you posted were really sharp too, so just makes me wonder if the extra cost is worth the time saved?
            ​​​​​​

​​​​​​
            Last edited by NathCarr91; 10-12-2023, 01:49.

Comment

Thanks Nat…I think it’s around £120,
              I’m normally using Affinity for most of the processing including noise reduction and sharpening …with DXO you don’t have to makes any selections or layers …it just does its own thing within a few seconds. With affinity to get good backgrounds takes the application of blur and mask for the subject. I’ve only just started the DXO trial…I may decide not to buy if I can improve my abilities with DPP and Affinity.
              either way I don’t think this post processing takes anything away from the photography …there is no corruption of the image…only enhancement.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

[QUOTE=To me the conservation and lifestyle of the creature I'm photographing is far more important than the picture.[/QUOTE]

With total respect ….it is to me too!
                ….as an Environmental Management System Consultant and Lead Auditor …I support and check large organisations meet their environmental impact improvement objectives including ecological and biodiversity.
                but I’m also fascinated and invested in photography related technology (I’m a qualified electronics engineer) to make images the best I possible can…I rarely succeed I know.
                you post some great shots Trev….no doubt using skills honed over years and using great gear. As for DXO I am concerned about AI …but the cat is out of the bag… and I see no problem with AI as long as it doesn’t corrupt.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                X