Raw with dpp and eos 5d11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw with dpp and eos 5d11

I have DPP ver 3.4.1.1 installed (windows) which works fine with RAW from 1Ds 111 and 1d 111 but new 5D11 files don't open?

Is there an update I need or am I missing something obvious?

Any help appreciated!

Re: Raw with dpp and eos 5d11

Yes, canon UK. or the canon site in the US has an update to version 3.6.1. The new version has some new tools like highlight and shadow features.
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Great.....that was quick!
      3 mins to solve the mystery!
      Happy shooting!

Comment

DPP question:
        Just got the 5D2 and assume I have the most current version of DPP - I know since I've been told this all my life that there no such thing as a dumb question - So here goes ---- Is there any way to straighten out a crooked photo in DPP? Or must I spend another $300.00 on more software?
        Thanks
        Ken Stern

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Stern View Post
          DPP question:
          ...Is there any way to straighten out a crooked photo in DPP? Or must I spend another $300.00 on more software?
          Thanks
          Ken Stern
          No, you can't. You can crop, but you can't straighten. Photoshop ACR (raw editor) does it and even helps you get it level or perpendicular by using a ruler tool. Rotating an image (which is what you do with straightening) is a graphics feature and DPP isn't really geared for that. If you export your TIFF/JPEG to Photoshop or other package after RAW editing you can then straighten it there.

Comment

Thank You ever so much for the the rapid & knowledgeable response - I now have a follow-up question: Can the Photoshop ACR Raw Editor software be purchased as a stand alone element and be used in conjunction with DPP -- Or must one 1st purchased Photoshop CS4. As you can probably see I'm attempting to limit additional costs. The transition from Film to Digital has been both exciting and expensive.

Comment

The ACR software cannot be used 'stand alone'. It is only available for use within Photoshop (Elements or Creative Suite) and Lightroom.

HTH.
              Regards ,
              Norman

Comment

I think originally (yonks ago) they were separate products, but then got rolled together. For £72 you can get Elements 8 from Amazon. That seems pretty good for RAW editing (the same editor as in CS4) and basic Photoshop processing. Unless you are into creating lots of composite images and using fancy features you don't really need much else. OK you lose some functionality such as Actions (shortcut routines for doing tasks) but for basic editing Elements is fine.

Comment

I don't think ACR has ever been a stand alone product but I do remember when it first came out it was priced separately. I started with PhotoShop version 5 and bought the ACR plug-in for it. I kept it up-to-date free of charge until version 6. After that it was bundled and since Creative Suite you can no longer upgrade to the latest version free of charge. As soon as a new version of CS comes out the version of ACR shipped with it no longer works on previous versions of PS.

I keep a web page (here) up-to-date that shows the minimum version of ACR / Photoshop / Elements required for most current digital cameras.
                  Regards ,
                  Norman

Comment

Thanks Norman - What a bummer - Until I scrape up the cash I'll be real attentive to those grid lines on the focus screen.

Comment

Thanks Carregwen - Will check it out 72 lbs sounds like about 100 of our paper stuff - probably can still talk the the wife into that

Comment

Working...
                      X