Eos 550D and Photoshop CS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eos 550D and Photoshop CS3

Good evening, Forgive me if this or something similar has been asked before, this is my first post after becoming a Canon DSLR owner. Yesterday I purchased an EOS 550D camera only to be dissapointed that I can't open the .CR2 files within either Photoshop CS3 or Bridge or indeed ACR. I have searched the web and downloaded an updated ACR module (deleted the .8bi file downloaded a patch (new .8bi file)) etc but still no joy regarding opening these RAW files. Yes I could use the free DNG converter but I would have preferred not to have. Is there any way that you can open these files in CS3 without any additional cost? Is Adobe intending to release an update for CS3 to cover this camera?
    Reading various comments on line today I see that it is not just enough to open a .CR2 file but it is also camera (model) dependent, is this right?
    Also any hints, tips or links to articles on getting the best out of the 550D would be very helpful,
    Thanks in advance

Re: Eos 550D and Photoshop CS3

I am pretty sure your only option is to convert the Raw files to .DNG, or to update your CS3 to at least CS4. It is a bit of a pain but not the end of the world once you get in to it.
    Papa.

Comment

I have CS3 and had the same problem when i got my 7D. You need either CS4 or 5, both expensive or get a copy of Elements 8 or 9, cheaper or free, download the Adobe DNG converter. The only downside with the latter is you cant convert individual files you have to convert the whole folder at once which is a bit of a pain if you have a couple of hundred shots
      You could of course also process your RAW files using DPP which came with your camera and then open in CS£

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Infraview with its downloaded plug ins will view and edit raw shots. It will also do batch conversions if I remember correctly. I'm sure there is something "out there" that will work for you.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          I have CS3 and had the same problem when i got my 7D. You need either CS4 or 5, both expensive or get a copy of Elements 8 or 9, cheaper or free, download the Adobe DNG converter. The only downside with the latter is you cant convert individual files you have to convert the whole folder at once which is a bit of a pain if you have a couple of hundred shots
          You could of course also process your RAW files using DPP which came with your camera and then open in CS£

Stan
          I always use DPP to do basic work on the RAW files. Then using the DPP batch facility to convert them to either jpeg or tiff for further work in PS
          ef-r

Comment

I had resigned myself to the fact it would have to be DNG converter. It's just annoying that the CR2 files for this camera aren't compatible with CS3. I'm definately not buying another copy of Photoshop they've had enough money.

Comment

Working...
            X