"Sharpness is the most overrated aspect of lens performance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sharpness is the most overrated aspect of lens performance"

Whilst looking for reviews I came across that legend of photography (Ken Rockwell) and this

Lens Sharpness

This will come as no surprise to many (me included) ... but it may be a shock to others ...

Still worth a read even if you think it contains snake oil.

Re: "Sharpness is the most overrated aspect of lens performance"

Love it. Best quote for me:

Photographers pay more for some gear because it allows them to get great results over a broader range of conditions
    My philosphy exactly. I can get pretty much the same results with a cheaper lens, but I'm less likely to or will have to try harder to do so. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Very interesting and a lot of truth. However, I seem to remember a lot of 'russian', cheap lens beeing really crap whatever you did with them. In the present day however there are so many idiots out there that there is a huge SH market, and of course thats to 'our' advantage.

Comment

I find that Ken Rockwell is to photography what the Sun is to serious journalism
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          I find that Ken Rockwell is to photography what the Sun is to serious journalism
          You are right Brian, hes got to make a living, and as I said, thats to our advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
            You are right Brian, hes got to make a living, and as I said, thats to our advantage.
            Like Clarkson and Cars ...

Comment

Working...
            X