Challenge No 74 - Colour Popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge No 74 - Colour Popping

OK, I hope this doesn’t turn into Date-Gate. It did vaguely occur to me that there may be this confusion with a ‘post-processing’ type of Challenge, but I had thought my wording in my 4th bullet point (“posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition”) was sufficiently clear, but obviously not. So I apologise for any confusion arising. Anyway, once I saw there were a couple of entries that looked out of range, I did decide to comment and score on everyone anyway, but then just to choose the winners from those that qualified. Hope that’s ok. The important thing is that there are loads of great images to admire and learn from, and hopefully people enjoyed taking part.

So, to the results...
    As I said in the OP I will score them on three criteria, and for your information will also give my comments and suggestions on each. Please don’t take offence at anything I say, it’s just my opinion, others will disagree. That said, in this case my word is law. Mwah haw haw *walks off rubbing hands and cackling in power-crazed Bond-villain style*.

Tesarver - Seigfried Train Depot
    Colour popping technique: The popped features certainly stand out, and the building has been isolated from its surroundings well, but to my eye the gravel between the sleepers should be mono too. 8/10
    Does image suit treatment?: I’d seen this image in the forum earlier and loved the various treatments that you had given it. Using colour to connect the railway building with its associated track is really clever. 9/10
    Overall composition: You have created a really striking image and l always love your experimentation, but for me this time there is just a bit too much going on. 8/10
    Total: 25

Pelliott1954 - Breakfast In Bed
    Colour popping technique: Wow, those yellows really stand out against the black. And great touch to include a little drip on the soldiers. You’ve kept the variation in yellows really well. Excellent. 10/10
    Does image suit treatment?: It is possible that I am going ga-ga, but I’m sure that when I first saw the entry I said to myself ‘the flower is nice, but I wish he had also picked out the yellow of the yolk’. Then a couple of days later I looked again, and you had. I’m only not sure whether the green stalk looks right and whether it would have been better to keep it just to the yellows. 9/10
    Overall composition: I’m normally a stickler for straight lines and horizons (I’m a cartographer at heart), but as this is presumably on your lap in bed a bit of looseness adds. Well lit and I like the black background. 9/10
    Total: 28

Rajjayaraj - Saltburn Pier
    Colour popping technique: I love how you’ve distinguished between her in pink and him in purple. I think you could have maintained this simplicity by not including the yellow on his back. 8/10
    Does image suit treatment?: I’d be interested in seeing the full colour original, but it seems to me that by only picking out those colours you have enabled the viewer to really focus in on the figures without any external distractions, which is what this is all about. 9/10
    Overall composition: It took me quite a while to tune into what the image was, but once I did, I liked it. I liked the background all being out of focus, but just wish the man’s left arm was in. 8/10

Guesty - Bee on flower
    Colour popping technique: As you say, a more ‘natural’ looking effect and I like its subtlety, but I would have preferred the background to be completely mono. 7/10
    Does image suit treatment?: Something is bothering me, and I think that it is the bee. Normally I’d love to see it there to add interest, but in this case it distracts - part of me thinks it shouldn’t be included in the pop but I suspect that wouldn’t look right either. I reckon I’d prefer either just the bee popped, or the flower without the bee. 7/10
    Overall composition: As a straight shot, I think it is all there. 9/10
    Total: 24

Thndr_Strck - Cape Grey Mongoose
    Colour popping technique: Those top eye lash hairs must have been the devil to work around, and you’ve done a really good job, although there is a bit of reflection in the top part of the eye that distracts me slightly. 8/10
    Does image suit treatment?: Very much so. Simple, bold and striking. 9/10
    Overall composition: Maybe I would have given a little more space to the left of the shot for him to look into, and to see the ends of the stray hairs, but I’m being really picky. 9/10
    Total: 26

mikep - Flowers at Barnes WWT
    Colour popping technique: Really interesting to see it popped against sepia rather than mono, and I think this works really well. You’ve missed some spaces between the shrivelled petals, though, where the original green is coming through. 8/10
    Does image suit treatment?: Very much so, I think you’ve added so much more interest and created a genuine mood. 9/10
    Overall composition: You’ve balanced the flower heads brilliantly from left to right, but personally I’d shave a little off the top to take the main head off the centre line. 9/10

antoeknee - The Real Thing
    Colour popping technique: One of my previous attempts had a lot of stalks to select out, so I know what a faff that is. Good job. 9/10
    Does image suit treatment?: My instinct would have been to have just popped the label, but now I reckon I’d have been wrong - I love the hints of coke left in the bottle. You’ve made an otherwise unremarkable (indeed throwaway) image memorable. 9/10
    Overall composition: Lighting is really good, and by darkening the grass you’ve helped the bottle stand out. I really think I’d have preferred the front label to be showing though. 9/10
    Total: 27
    Unfortunately, the exif shows that it was taken outside of the dates for the competition, which is a darn shame because I really liked it - and it looks really really good in full resolution on Flickr. I did pm antoeknee to check it wasn’t just the date stamp being wrong in camera.

hoopix - West Bay Beach
    Colour popping technique: Nicely selected, I might have tried brightening the lifebelt itself slightly. 8/10
    Does image suit treatment?: Makes a lifebelt interesting. Who’d have thought that possible? 8/10
    Overall composition: Clean and simple is so often the most effective, and this is a good example of that. The boat is so in line with the lifebelt did you put it there? However, because the power of the image is its abstract quality, I would prefer it without the bird (though normally I like them to add interest to the sky) and you could have straightened the horizon (but you weren’t to know that is one of my biggest bug-bears!). 8/10
    By the way, your first entry into a Challenge - welcome!

adareimages - Taos Cemetery
    Colour popping technique: Great job in selecting all of those individual elements, very precisely. 10/10
    Does image suit treatment?: My initial thought was that I wished you had just done the flags as the other red elements seemed cluttered, but I’ve come back to it several times now and you’ve won me around. You need the reds at the foot of the image to balance the flags. 10/10
    Overall composition: Lovely balance and composition. 10/10
    Total: 30
    Although no exif, as this showed snow on the ground and no leaves on the trees in New Mexico I pm’d adareimages who confirmed it was taken a while ago. Which is a shame because as you can see I loved it.

DianaS - Porsche 911
    Colour popping technique: You’ve isolated the car from the background really well, and yet retained a slightly muted feel on its markings which I really like. But I’d rather you hadn’t also popped the sandy coloured banks in the background. 8/10
    Does image suit treatment?: What you have done focuses the attention right onto the car and away from a potentially distracting background. 9/10
    Overall composition: I find the head with the light coloured cap a bit distracting although the other two figures add scale and interest. 8/10

It seems posts can only be 10,000 characters long, so onto part 2...
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Continued...

chrisB - Under Blackfriars Railway Bridge
      Colour popping technique: You’ve done a great job in selecting not only the three workers but their attached paraphernalia. 9/10
      Does image suit treatment?: You’ve made the workers the whole focus of the picture despite being partially obscured - in fact not a single face is visible which surely is a photographic no-no, but sometimes rues are there to be broken. 10/10
      Overall composition: I love the curves and all those repeating elements. Wonderful. 10/10
      Total: 29
      You’ve been a member for 2.5 years and this is your first post? Welcome, and I for one would love to see more of your work.

Housey - Zelezny Dedek
      Colour popping technique: You’ve done a good job in selecting him and his bike from amongst the clutter of the other riders. It looks to me, though, that you’ve incorrectly included a sliver of image between his left bicep and body. 8/10
      Does image suit treatment?: This has to be one of the classic colour popping shots - highlighting one individual from a crowd. 9/10
      Overall composition: Lovely crisp shot, little bit of space for the pack to move into on the left, and the back of the group slightly out of focus. What’s not to like? 10/10

Photosharp - Kure Beach T-shirt
      Colour popping technique: I think you were right to leave the traces of colour in the background in order to balance the ‘in your face-ness’ of the foreground. 9/10
      Does image suit treatment?: Wow that green really zings doesn’t it? You want the viewer to focus on the t-shirt and there’s nothing else they can do. 9/10
      Overall composition: With its blown-out background, really tight crop and angled horizon, the image is clearly all about the t-shirt. In that sense it feels like an advert, which oddly bothers me for some reason, however in your explanation I can see that is clearly the intent, so on that level it works. 9/10
      And another first entry into a Challenge - welcome!

Wayne Els - Warning No Trains
      Colour popping technique: Those selections must have taken you days to pick out every single stalk and flower head, great job. 10/10
      Does image suit treatment?: You’ve brought a potentially mundane view that most would just walk past, into resplendent life. I would have been overly simplistic and just done the sign, but by doing the plants you’ve added an ‘outside and inside the fence’ aspect. 10/10
      Overall composition: I love the balance between the diagonal extent of foliage and the cross member on the fence. And the sweeping curve behind. Oh, and the detail of the cobwebs. Cracking. 10/10
      Total: 30

Coryman - EOS Butterfly
      Colour popping technique: Lovely job, you’ve picked out every part of the butterfly seamlessly. 10/10
      Does image suit treatment?: Distinguishing nature from technology, colourful creature from black object, whichever way you look at it, it is a great way to present the image. 10/10
      Overall composition: Great depth of field. I really like the image being off level, and it sits brilliantly in the frame, but I find the doorframe in the background a little too intrusive. 9/10
      Total: 29
      Oh darn it, you’ve ruled yourself out. Shame because it is a wonderful image.

DeeGee - Leo
      Colour popping technique: You’ve done a nice job in isolating the eyes, including retaining a slight catchlight. My concern is that the resultant effect in this case is too subtle such that a casual viewer would miss it; I know you don’t want to turn him into a ‘devil cat’, but I think they could have stood out a little more. 8/10
      Does image suit treatment?: I love the idea, and actually all this week I’ve been looking at my own cat with just this image in mind. 9/10
      Overall composition: Ordinarily I would like the balance you have got by including the back of the bench, but as the focus is on his eyes I think it would have suited cropping in closer. On my monitor it all comes up just a bit too dark. 7/10

digiman - Vintage Jack Plane
      Colour popping technique: Very nicely done. 9/10
      Does image suit treatment?: Those little maker’s marks really lend themselves to being picked out in this way and the muted tones and background treatment suits the age of the tool. 9/10
      Overall composition: I do like the bed of shavings. Did you have to plane all that or did you just have it sitting around? Personally, I think you’ve cropped just a teeny bit too tight to the top for comfort. 9/10

Opifex - A Colour Slide
      Colour popping technique: You’ve certainly made the slide stand out. It might be due to the resolution of the uploaded image, but on my screen there is a fair bit of purple fringing around the leaves, plus the grass stalks at the foot of the slide are still showing as green. 7/10
      Does image suit treatment?: I love it when a mundane object can be turned into a star. 9/10
      Overall composition: I presume that you’ve consciously chosen to put the leaves in front of the slide because stepping one pace to the right would have shifted them, but it just doesn’t work for me. 7/10
      Total: 23

Steve K - Frecce Tricolori solo pilot display
      Colour popping technique: Great job in selecting a nicely coloured object. 9/10
      Does image suit treatment?: Turns a nice picture into a work of art. 9/10
      Overall composition: A lovely balanced image with lines drawing your eyes around although I would suggest that the plane should ideally be slightly to the left of the halfway line. It may have been an artistic choice, but a tad too much noise in the sky for me. 8/10
      And you’ve ruled yourself out too. Botheration. However, your first ever post; welcome to the forum and I’m looking forward to seeing much more.

Montana 5 - XKR
      Colour popping technique: The car has been selected and popped very nicely, and then the added touch of the berries. 9/10
      Does image suit treatment?: A classic shot, and then you’ve thrown in a touch of something unusual with the berries. I love experimentation, but in this case I hate to say it but I feel the berries draw the eye away rather than enhancing. 8/10
      Overall composition: Well composed and lit, with the reflections and highlights nicely controlled. 9/10

So, after all that confusion, I think that the final results are:
      1st: Wayne Els (Warning No Trains)
      2nd: chrisB (Under Blackfriars Bridge)
      3rd: pelliott1954 (Breakfast In Bed)

Thanks again to everyone who entered. I hope no-one thinks that I have been too harsh in my comments; I have tried to provide both positives and negatives, but as with many things it is easier to find fault and score down than to score up. Please take it all with a pinch of salt.

Over to you, Wayne...

Phew. *reaches for very large glass of wine*
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done and congrats to all who entered a great comp, but most of all, congrats to Wayne for a great winner! I appreciate the effort you must have put in, so really well done for that one.

Judging is never easy, and I for one really appreciate the constructive, fair minded and well thought out judging and comments. Really useful feedback, not just on my shot, but on the others'! Excellent job, Alex.

Looking forward to the next one!

Mike
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Well done to all who entered, Congratulations to the three leaders and a very well done to Wayne. Great image, I look forward to the next challenge.

Alex - agree with the comments on mine, it is too dark. I've recently "redone" this image with the colour popping method I've just learnt and part of my processing this time was to make it a touch lighter.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Congrats Wayne, Chris, Pelliott and well done Alex for such a lovely topic and judging. Raj
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

Congratulations to Wayne. Thanks Alex for setting the theme and the giving the critique.

Doug.
              Cameras... 7D, 350D
              Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
              Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Well done Wayne, love that image.

Thanks Alex for a great challenge. I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for your great and in depth comments. I am really chuffed with my score, so thanks! To answer your question re shavings, I had them since the "texture" challenge. The ones in the throat of the plane though are genuinely cut using the plane for this challenge. It still works and is used regularly, even though it must be around 60yrs old.

Thanks again Alex, and well done all,
                Garry
                Last edited by digiman; 29-08-2013, 07:49.
                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Well done Wayne on a good win against some really good entries, well done also to Alex for a very good set of Judging remarks.

Regards Paul

Comment

Congratulation on the win Wayne and well done on the judging Alex.

Tom

Comment

The critique was taken in the same vein as it was given, fully warranted and happily accepted. Thanks for the comments and an in-depth summary. Congrats Wayne.

Comment

Well done Wayne and everyone for taking the time to enter. The colour popping was a first effort for me, shame I didn't read and follow the rules. Thank you Alex for taking the time to comment.

Looking forward to the next challenge.

Ian
                        Ian

Comment

Hello all! I am so glad the wait is over! This was a great pleasure to be involved in, I loved the good conduct among st everyone as things got a little confusing. I am very happy for, and congratulate the three top photographers! Thank you very much to Alex for the thought that you put into this.

Comment

Well done Wayne, and every one else. Worthy winner. I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

P

Comment

Congratulations to all the winners. All that effort really paid off.

Alex - Thanks for creating a different sort of challenge this time. This was the first time I've tried colour popping and didn't appreciate how much effort it needs to do it well. In my case I couldn't see the errors you pointed out until I zoomed right in and saw what you meant. I'm learning something new each time I try a challenge. Thanks again for the challenge and taking the time to produce a useful critique.

Graham.

Comment

What a great competition! Stunning entries, very well subscribed, and judged

Congratulations to Wayne, Chris & Paul for the winning images, and thanks to Alex for the judging, it's so nice to read someone else's assessment of images and we all have something to learn whether we entered or not.

I'm glad the picture-date issue has had such a high profile this time around, hopefully it won't be an issue again Perhaps Wayne, you could mention that all entrants should read through the rules before submitting for the next challenge
                                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                                X