Photographic challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographic challenges

Any interest in photographic challenges on the forum ?

Nothing too formal / nightmarish to administer.

Millie

Re: Photographic challenges

Could be... What did you have in mind?
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Nothing in particular CF

It could be the usual themes like Love, friendship, security, speed, colour, or counter propaganda/marketing.

Millie

Comment

Howabout pets?

Most people have them or access to them . Keeps the cost down and opens it up to the biggest group?

Brian
        ef-r

Comment

Keeps the cost down and opens it up to the biggest group?
          Hi Brian, sorry you've lost me

Millie

Comment

I'm sure we could all think of a hundred different 'challenge' themes...

I suspect the problem here is simply (current) lack of support... but let's see if we can generate some momentum and give it a go...

Millie - like the Avatar!
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
              Hi Brian, sorry you've lost me

Millie
              To take pictures of pets will be cheap and easy for most - therefore most people on the forum will be able to do it. Abstract items such and love and friendship are very subjective and difficult for a lot of people to get their heads round (including me). I feel we need to have an inclusive challenge - with everyone from pro's to newbies feeling comfortable and not intimidated to enter.

Is that you in the Avatar Millie?
              Last edited by briansquibb; 19-02-2010, 12:13.
              ef-r

Comment

Brian, Don't see how taking pictures of your pet(s) is cheaper, or even easier for that matter.

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                Millie - like the Avatar!
                Like yours too !

Apathy may be a problem

Millie

Comment

Brian, Don't see how taking pictures of your pet(s) is cheaper, or even easier for that matter.

Millie
                  No travelling involved
                  No special location involved
                  Reduced time involved
                  No special effects required
                  No imagination required

I have two cats at home, neighbors all have dogs - opportunities are all around. Just have to have the camera near to hand.

I believe that inexperienced photographers need something simple where the main concern is to get a good technical shot.
                  Last edited by briansquibb; 19-02-2010, 12:45.
                  ef-r

Comment

OK Brian, let's have a 'challenge' based on your suggestions/ guidelines.

No travelling involved
                    No special location involved
                    Reduced time involved
                    No special effects required
                    No imagination required
                    Millie

Comment

Any interest in photographic challenges on the forum ?

Nothing too formal / nightmarish to administer.

Millie
                      Yes, to your idea!

Brian, I don't have a pet, OR access to a pet. Though, I could always get a goldfish - but they're not very exciting!

I think a theme would be really good, because you have to think about it. We already have an animal section, and that's enough. Photography is art and not just a picture! To show one's skill, a theme is a REALLY good way to demonstrate this. Yes, it could/ may/might be difficult, but it only takes a few members to start the ball rolling - so Millie, your idea - what theme will you choose. By the way, pets can be used in themes, if they can demonstrate an idea! but 'just' a photo of a pet, I think is rather boring - sorry!

I also don't believe it's too difficult for a beginner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS This also will demonstrate how one can use a camera as a CAMERA, NO matter what model, as it is the SUBJECT, rather than what the camera can do - so this actually opens this up to people with earlier models that are now obsolete.

So, I'm up for it!!
                      Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Good idea Millie, I am up for that.

Oh, and well done on the Avatar, at last ............... nearly forgot how ugly you are! (Ducks and runs for cover).

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Thanks folks,

Let’s try to bang out a ‘rough framework’ please feel free to ‘add to’, or make your alternative suggestions on the framework, probably best to keep it simple. Setting the theme will be quite easy.

Here goes.........

An image Posting period of 7 days starting 1st Match 2010?
                          Voting for 7 days using a poll,
                          Taker of the most popular snap sets the theme for the next round. ??

Rough suggestion for voting: Scores out of 10 for the following:

Interpretation / relevance to theme
                          Tech execution / exposure
                          Composition

nearly forgot how ugly you are!
                          LOL
                          Millie

Comment

A real photographic challenge would be to ensure freedom for photographers to take pictures whenever and wherever they are out and about. Many years ago I could take my then Pentax MX & ME Super and walk around Westminister, the Houses of Parliament, Westminister Abbey and so on and take photographs at leisure. However, now you dare not take out a camera in these places as you stand to be arrested. Is is possible for bona fide photographers to carry some sort of card or the other to show that you are only an enthusiastic photographer, if questioned? Life is short and one's freedom is being curtailed in this country. Can all photographers make a massive call for support for their enjoyable hobby?
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks folks,

Let’s try to bang out a ‘rough framework’ please feel free to ‘add to’, or make your alternative suggestions on the framework, probably best to keep it simple. Setting the theme will be quite easy.

Here goes.........

An image Posting period of 7 days starting 1st Match 2010?
                              Voting for 7 days using a poll,
                              Taker of the most popular snap sets the theme for the next round. ??

Rough suggestion for voting: Scores out of 10 for the following:

Interpretation / relevance to theme
                              Tech execution / exposure
                              Composition

LOL
                              Millie
                              How about a month, a week is a bit too short, other than that, I think what you have said is enough. As a start, what about man and beast, as a start to the photographic challenge?
                              Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Working...
                              X