Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony Mirrorless Full frame Sensor Cameras - Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Mirrorless Full frame Sensor Cameras - Wow!

I haven't seen this anywhere on the forum yet - http://photographylife.com/the-poten...ystem-on-dslrs

There are two cameras - the A7 and A7R. the A7 has a 24mp sensor while the A7R has a 36mp sensor. These are very similar to the sensor's Sony has sold to Nikon for the D610 and D800! The cost is $1500 and $2300 - no word yet on UK pricing.

As someone looking to make the leap up to full frame, are these worth a look?
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: Sony Mirrorless Full frame Sensor Cameras - Wow!

hang on...this is a Canon EOS forum

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lone pilgrim View Post
      I haven't seen this anywhere on the forum yet
      Because its a Canon forum ?!
      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Because its a Canon forum ?!
        that's a better answer than mine

Stan
        Last edited by Stan; 16-10-2013, 12:13.
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Haha! Fair do's!

But what could it mean for Canon? Nothing because it's a flash in the pan and won't last? Or could it cannibalise Canon upgraders like me? Sony could afford to sell the cameras at cost or even for a loss because they make profits from TVs and Playstations. Will Canon be forced to come up with their own mirrorless full frame competitor?
          Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Much like the other FF mirrorless cameras, they'll be priced right out of the running for mere mortals. It's for fancy pants photogs who want to be Zack Arias lol Although I wouldn't say no to one.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

My opinion only and without commenting on particular manufacturers or whether or not they are any good ... but ... this is new-ish technology with no guarantees of how long it will be around. When you purchase a DSLR and associated lenses you are buying into a well established ecosystem of Canon/Nikon/3rd party manufacturers of hardware, software and accessories.

Unless you have money to burn I would be extremely careful of buying into Sony's new technology. I wasted money on a DVD-Audio player in the early 2000s instead of going for another CD player when my first one died. The shops didn't know what it was, the back catalogues didn't materialise and new music was being launched exclusively on CD back then (pre vinyl revival days). Of course it plays CDs and DVDs very well but I could have put the money towards a very good CD player instead - something I later did and have not regretted.

Good luck with your decision which ever way you go.

Scott
              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

It's an interesting development and certainly Canon & Nikon will need to respond, not so much in developing FF mirrorless bodies, but if Sony starts eating into their profits with competitive pricing.

I think the biggest weakness for anyone thinking of moving is Sony's lack of comprehensive lens range, specifically for this model range, apart from a 55mm F1.8 there are no fast lenses, therefore asking a pro tog to go without 1.2/1.4/2.0/2.8 primes/zoom -it aint gonna happen.

But for anyone wanting to get into FF photography and can live with the lens range, and not interested in fast action photography, then it could be an attractive proposition?

But I don't think Canon & Nikon executives will be having any sleepless nights over it.......yet.
                Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by lone pilgrim View Post
                  I haven't seen this anywhere on the forum yet - http://photographylife.com/the-poten...ystem-on-dslrs

There are two cameras - the A7 and A7R. the A7 has a 24mp sensor while the A7R has a 36mp sensor. These are very similar to the sensor's Sony has sold to Nikon for the D610 and D800! The cost is $1500 and $2300 - no word yet on UK pricing.

£1299 & £1699 according to WEX
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Interesting. You can always use your Canon lenses (via an adapter, such as one from Metabones) on these bodies should you be that way inclined.

Comment

Yeah, I've read up a bit more about them today and as Les has pointed out, the lenses are an issue, with a lack of top quality glass. It also seems that the autofocus features can't match the best DSLR's yet. However, the lenses are relatively cheap!

If I got the A7 with a variety of lenses I would spend around £2000 - £2500. A 6D with top quality glass (24-70 2.8 IS, 70-200 2.8 IS and maybe a macro or wide angle lens) would be £5000 - £6000. Horses for courses I guess.

Scott's point is a good one. What if the cameras flop and Sony cease to develop them? And no-one builds any decent lenses for them?

Of course it could work the other way. Imagine Sony as Apple introducing the iPhone while Canon and Nikon are Blackberry and Nokia. If they don't innovate themselves, they could find themselves left behind.

There's one other thing I thought of. Would you be able to command any respect as a wedding photographer if you turned up with one of these small mirrorless cameras? Would the bride and groom think that you were an amateur regardless of the quality of the images?

Comment

They do look like key cameras in the history of photography. Plus with any luck (as Canon are said to see Sony as their key competitor in the future, rather than Nikon) to prompt Canon to actually launch something new and exciting, rather than waiting for the end of the recession...

The Sony sensors in the A7s are some way ahead of the 6D, which is Canon's best sensor as of writing (but hopefully not for too long).

Oh, and I can't imagine Sony will ditch these, completely fundamental products to their photography division....

Comment

When you see the images coming out of the competition like the Pentax K-3 and the new Sony stuff, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Canon were taking the pi$$. Sigma are giving Canon a right showing up with their Art series lenses, and they've now just announced the 24-105 f/4 too. The newest Canon sensor turned heads, but it didn't take long for the masses to get excited about something else.

I like my Canon gear, but the second I thought I'd get better results from something else, that was smaller and lighter, I'd sell the lot. The gear is a tool, and much like my cordless drill I'd swap it for another brand if it was better.

Maybe I'm being a bit OTT but if Sony can make a FF mirrorless camera a success and generate this much excitement, then maybe Canon need to open a window at their offices and see what's going on at ground level.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Canon still make more money from photography than anyone else, so they don't have to rush, or include every feature you would like when they do launch something, alas. Hopefully the rash of new cameras might get something new to pop up (40+MP FF with 14+ stops of DR please).

In addition to the Sonys don't forget the Olympus E-M1, Pentax K-3, Nikon D5300 or the teeny Panasonic GM1 (smaller than an RX100 and takes interchangeable lenses). Allegedly the Fuji X-E2 is due tomorrow IIRC. You can tell Christmas is coming...

BTW impressive pics someone took with my second new camera of the year:
                            Leaving his trusty Nikon behind, Jim Richardson returns to a favorite spot to photograph, the Scottish Highlands, with a brave new tool—the iPhone 5S. Our hike across Scotland continues. Edinburgh then up to Oban on the west coast, around the wee Isle of Kerrera, over by ferry to Mull, Iona, and Staffa, the island […]

(Edit) For a camera with a decently large sensor the GM1 is insanely small...
                            The Panasonic GM1 is the first pocketable mirrorless camera. Is it full-featured or just puny? Read our GM1 review to find out!
                            Last edited by DrJon; 17-10-2013, 17:31.

Comment

hmmmmm i'll sit back on this one ,a few years ago i decided to throw my lot in with nikon and sold all my canon gear .the change over went smoothly enough and i was relatively happy with the outcome ..until this year i decided after a cancer scare that lifes to short to worry ,so i swore that if the tests came back negative (they thankfully did) that i would sell my two ageing cameras and get a brand new super all singing dancing d7100 ,with two years warranty .
                              i,m glad i bought from a reputable dealer LCE because after two months and two new camera bodies and nearly going insane with them i got a full refund ,and got sworn off nikon for life .

i know for a fact that i am not alone (at least in the wildlife fraternity ) with having problems with the d7100 due to the p.m's and e/mails i was and still am getting on a regular basis .

i have now changed back fully to canon but staying well away from new tech items ,my lad has a new 70d ,i could have got one but after seeing and handling his i found it to small and very hi-tech ,all i want to do is take photos i don't need to be able to control it with a smart phone etc .

anyway back to the sony items in question ,probably good for some but limited in there use .tried a e/v viewfinder a few times and its like looking through a what the butler saw machine ,not for me anyway and as i tried to point out not always the way to go

Comment

Working...
                              X