Kick back from a flash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick back from a flash.

I find that I am increasingly requested to take photographs inside churches and other buildings with a high ceiling or roof. As such I cannot use bounce flash to prevent any kick back from the flash striking your lens. I note that when I use just one flash gun I have to either mount it on the camera hot shoe or use my stroboframe flash bracket and off camera kit whereby the flash gun is perched on top(,approx 4 inches) of the camera attached to the flash bracket. However, I note that I still get some sort of kick back often by bouncing off the subject. I am therefore wondering whether the use of a polarising filter will stop this sort kick back or "glare"!.

In stating the above, I must mention that I have no time or opportunity to have a studio type setting- it is a case of photographing a moving ceremony- more like photographing a wedding ceremony.

Many thanks.

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Kick back from a flash.

How about a sidekick with a reflector?

Just a thought - I know I can't always have a sidekick. My wife would never help!

Best

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I am in the same boat- no chance of a sidekick or punka puller to hold a reflector to help out.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I haven't ever used flash on (or off) the Hotshoe, but I'd be inclined to try a Sofbox attached to the flash.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
          I haven't ever used flash on (or off) the Hotshoe, but I'd be inclined to try a Sofbox attached to the flash.
          OK here goes Nat
          Go to Pound Shop
          Buy a BIG sandwich box
          Cut hole in lid to fit flash head
          Put white cloth or similar across exit of light from box (all inside) using glue stik
          There you have a cheap 2 minute soft box
          0.99p done

Comment

Acutally I do have a diffuser- a soft box, which I had forgotten to use. Thanks for reminding me. Actually, nowadays, I photograph a variety of subjects that I keep forgetting as to what accessory equipment I have got. Thanks Andy and Robin for jolting my (fading I suppose) memory

Comment

Hi Nat,

you can get a cheap light stand, a plastic flash bracket head and a white shoot through umbrella for >£30 on amazon - I have this and use it all the time. It softens the light, and spreads it around, not as directional as a softbox but for what you are doing it could be fine, you are mostly inside so don't have to worry about wind blowing the umbrella over, you can just set it up, use the wireless off camera flash control and you don't need an assistant.

Also, I made my own softbox, a cardboard crate from Aldi, cheap baco foil to line it, several layers of white baking (greaseproof) paper taped onto the face - works fine - just needs a bit of tape to hold it secure as I could not 'make' a flash bracket

Ian
              EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Thanks Ian. A very good idea indeed for a person like me who has no "ideas" nor any "art". Also D-I-Y is just beyond me. I have a decent stroboframe flash bracked which is L shaped. The white shoot through brolly will be great for stationary objects like a bouquet, flower stand and other artefacts. Can you tell me what this lightstand etc is called so that I can look it up on Amazon

Comment

Nat, flash-stands are great (stable, small, and cheap) but if it's for occasional use and you have a tripod spare, then you can purchase flash-bracket/tripod-thread adapter for £2.50 (or even a dedicated flash/brolly bracket with a 1/4" or 3/8" socket) which allows the flash/brolly head to attach to a tripod plate. It's good to weigh-up all the options!
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve. Yes, I will look at all possibilities & accessories. Since I am now taking all sorts of photos, I am looking at the gizmos I already have & will invest in those items I really need.

Comment

here you go
                      scroll down to where it says frequently bought together

EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Thanks Ian. You are now making me into a real "professional LOOKING" photographer!

Comment

Stan I have something similar to this.

Came in handy when I was doing some shots for work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...item3cc314a185

Not perfect, but easy to put in the pocket.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

When I was doing in indoor party last month, I had my flash on wireless triggers, and held it way off to the left or high up to the left with my arm outstretched. I also left it standing on a few tables or the speakers. The Yongnuo 602C's are totally invaluable for creative quickness.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                              When I was doing in indoor party last month, I had my flash on wireless triggers, and held it way off to the left or high up to the left with my arm outstretched. I also left it standing on a few tables or the speakers. The Yongnuo 602C's are totally invaluable for creative quickness.
                              Paul, I know your images look great and this response isn't directed at you, but it's food for thought for anyone reading this thread : Generally, whilst off-camera flash is a fantastic way to be creative and supplement ambient light, "Light-falls" is a maxim to remember to maintain a natural look to the lighting, along with avoiding opposing shadows.

Whilst tables and speakers are convenient ready-made lightstands, they're not always appropriately placed and may need some thought to work effectively, naturally and cohesively with other light sources. That is where a carefully considered room-lighting set-up comes in handy, but is something which is a chore to configure and implement successfully (not to mention expensive!)

As an alternative, I find that a light-stick works well when you're moving about a lot. I use a monopod with a coldshoe attached to the ball-head (sometimes attached directly to the monopod to save weight and help balance) with the radio-trigger/flashgun on top. By extending the monopod I can then place the flashgun anywhere within a 8' radius of myself, it's like having extended gorilla arms Of course an assistant with the light-stick is the perfect scenario, but thus far I've used it successfully on my own but as you're shooting one-handed you need to be using a relatively light camera/lens combo.

With such a light-stick you can dynamically change the lighting in the blink of an eye, changing the orientation of the light to match your desired scheme as you move around. It is of course relatively heavy and can be unwieldy (not to mention dangerous to party-goers who stray into your light-stick's arc ) but I've had some success with counterbalancing the flashgun with a battery-pack at the monopods base to balance the light-stick a little.
                              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                              X