Wild life photos- Sub divisions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild life photos- Sub divisions.

I do not know how many members will agree with me. I find that the present wildlife thread- Animals and birds- is rather TAME AND BORING. I would like to see a sub division of wild life Animals- in captivity (i.e Zoos and similar) and "free; similarly for birds in captivity i.e in centres such as the Hawk centre for example and "free"- i.e in nature reserves and similar where the birds are free to come and go as they like. This IMHO will encourage members ,like me, to go out in the bracing and other weathers to take the photos and post the same in the correct thread. I might like to mention that a few other members have also said the same thing to me via PM's and e-mails. The challenge with true wild life ,animal photos, is that one cannot position one self to get the best shot as one cannot generally move around if you are in 4x4 vehicle cramed with people. I hope Robert will look into this in due course.

Thanks
    Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Wild life photos- Sub divisions.

sorry Nat I don't agree

I don't take photos for sections within this site, I do it for my enjoyment - I'll then post those images within sections here which I've never found an image I can't post at least somewhere.

When new threads are posted its easy to find them by looking at recent threads, should you want to click and view is really down to you, its not like you have to navigate to a section to find threads
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I am happy to review the wildlife section - and any other sections within the forum.

Please post if you agree or disagree with Nathaniel - or if you have a totally different perspective.

I will follow this thread and make any changes based on the general consensus.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Some other forums have a wild and free and captive wildlife section for sharing pics. I do find that EOS is a more wildlife oriented forum but I've only ever shot wild and free stuff. Never felt it needed changed. It's already quite separated.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks Robert for having an open mind on this. I do find it rather disheartening to see for example an excellent photo of a tiger or leopard taken through the glass in a zoo. To me that is not wild life photography. Ian ,I was referring to nature (wild life photos), which is the most popular subject/thread on the forum and a sub-division of that thread to make it clearer to those who post and those who view- like the sub-divisions in the "nude" section (People/portraits).

P.S Paulstw, I am aware that you have only posted wild and free pictures and thats why it would be nice if this sub-division exists on this forum as well- just as in some other forums which you have mentioned. There is then the difference between those who "go after wild life" and those who prefer the comfort of zoos for example.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 15-01-2015, 16:23.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

but I don't understand why you feel it needs another section when its already clear where to post wildlife images and it clearly says for wildlife inc zoos & wild animals

maybe I'm just missing your point Nat

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Ian, what I am suggesting is "wild life free and not so free- or something similar. This would separate the wild life taken in zoos and other captive centres such as the birds of prey centres. I generally do not like to see for example birds of prey being photogrphed with all the leather works around the legs. This is of course a personal opinion. As Paulstw has mentioned, other forums make this distinction and this could well be something for this forum to consider.

Comment

I suppose the bottom line Nat is how many photos get posted showing "wild & free" not that many. I still stand by my original thought that its clear where to post these -

Comment

Can we have a cake section too?
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                    Doesn't fall within "wild life"!

Comment

You've not had cake until you've had it wild and free Nat.... cake is a subject I am very knowledgeable on ;-)
                      Paul

Comment

Status quo for me. For what it's worth, I'm quite happy with the forums as they are.
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Excellent - lateral thinking!
                          PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

I sort of agree with Nat as I am not interested in taking captive animals/birds and not interested in looking at photos of such. To me the pleasure of taking a "wild and free" photo is the stalking and stealth required and I value this in other's images. So to sum up, yes a seperate category for captive but otherwise wild animals is desirable.

David
                            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

You've not had cake until you've had it wild and free Nat.... cake is a subject I am very knowledgeable on ;-)
                              Any chance of my tasting it Alan? I have a sweet tooth although "bad" for my health!

Comment

Working...
                              X