Hello from East Anglia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from East Anglia

Hello, thank you for allowing me onto the forum.

I am not an amateur photographer at the moment, I have been a local historian for many years, and a vital tool for that hobby is a camera.

So I've had a few cameras over the years, but have to confess to having them set to full auto.

I now have more time on my hands and intend to delve into photography in its own right. I know what an F-stop is, and sort of what depth of field is, but that's my terminology all dried up.

I'm hoping to learn a lot here so I can finally get my camera off of the auto setting and start thinking about things more than removing the lens cap and pressing the button.

My current kit won't get any pulses racing here, an entry level 1100D and three lenses, an 18-55, a 28-80, and a 75-300. No filters or fancy bits, just an Aldi tripod when they were about fourteen quid a few years ago.

I'm here to learn, be gentle with me if I say something stupid.

Regards,

Butch

Re: Hello from East Anglia

Hey Butch, you've got a decent camera, a range of lenses but most importantly an interest and wish to learn. So in my book you definitely are an amateur photographer and are most welcome. Put some pics up, ask some questions, think about why you like (or don't like) other people's pics and you'll learn really fast.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Hi Butch, and welcome, from another East Anglian (South Suffolk) resident.

A friendly bunch here, with no 'them and us' cliques, or equipment snobbery.

Plenty of help and advice, freely given.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Welcome from me too Butch
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Butch, plenty of help and advice here.
          Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
          EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

Welcome Butch
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Hello and welcome Butch. As Alex said you've a good camera and a nice range of lenses to go with it.

I look forward to seeing your offerings and comments.
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Hi Butch and welcome.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Hi Butch, welcome. I am very much learning and take inspiration from the forum. There are no stupid questions.
                  Neil

Comment

Welcome Butch, I am sure you will lean lots of tips from the forum members. As for cameras it's not what you've got its what you see with it that makes the difference!
                    Andrew

Comment

Welcome Butch. YOu will learn quite a bit about photography in this forum. Do post your photos when you are ready.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hello again, thank you so much for your replies, that is very kind and much appreciated.

I will be taking a few days to have a good read of the forum, so may be logged in, but very quiet.

Am I allowed to post a picture here?

I will have a go for two reasons, one to see if I can, I don't have a Flickr account, only Photobucket, so will see if PB is usable here, and secondly so you can see my frustration at being someone who is used to snapping buildings on fully auto, and then find organic things look rubbish.

The background grass is totally blurred, I'm presuming this is depth of field effect?, but it looks a mess to me, also, there is no definition between the top of Daffys beak and the reflected water, and his eye is very dark and has no definition. I wonder if post manipulation could improve things?

Comment

Welcome to the forum Butch

Tom

Comment

welcome Butch

as for posting images here - its your thread

The background grass is totally blurred, I'm presuming this is depth of field effect?, but it looks a mess to me, also, there is no definition between the top of Daffys beak and the reflected water, and his eye is very dark and has no definition. I wonder if post manipulation could improve things?
                            yep the OOF background is down to the DoF and once you understand it fully gives you a lot of control over the image ... The problem I do see with this image is it looks over processed and doesn't have natrual colours so you need to look at the contrast, vibrancy & saturation levels then it will start to look like more the image you saw

Looking forward to seeing you around
                            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Welcome Butch - this is a good place to be - as you see, you already have your first bit of constructive guidance!
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X