Processing, what's the way forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processing, what's the way forward?

OK being new to this photography milarkey and only using a very basic processing bit of software (don't laugh, Picassa) I'm looking to move forward but not sure where to go.
    1; I take it I should go to Lightroom, I tried the trial but didn't use it much so now need to decide. If I go with Lightroom is buying it the best route, or going CC/ paying monthly to get the PS app too.
    I feel at my pace of learning and aging brain cells sticking to LR and focus on getting used to it would be best but the PS thought is niggling.

2; I'm often slapped down on my contrast and light levels, could it be due to doing everything on a laptop where the angle of the screen can alter levels (or am I clutching at straws) Should i go to a large monitor and PC?

3; or should I just get rid of the camera and give up (Just kidding you won't get rid of me that easily)

Re: Processing, what's the way forward?

first off i have never believed in using a laptop for p/p it can alter things due to different angles on the screen all the time ..i do beleive that the latest version of elements (13) supports layering of subjects so thats a major improvement it will also allow for bolt ons i.e noise reduction software to be used in conjunction with the layering .so for a lot of subjects especially wildlife its a worthwhile investment .
    lightroom and p/s involve paying out forever for the pleasure ,elements is a one off purchase ,in my experience since the early 2000's with various platforms through windows ,then macs is that nothing stays the same and even if i could find the files from those early days i doubt i now could open the files as things have moved forward so far .
    the only saving grace is that all worthy photos that have been uploaded to flickr are still accessible with a quick search .

p.s please don't ask for paracetamol now your heads spinning i just used the last of mine

Comment

Hi I have tried a few different software packages and now migrated to using lightroom 6 for pretty much all processing. I will on occasion use photoshop if I absolutly need to change things (fixed someone's blinking eyes...) but it's rare as as a result I am useless at it and note down the tips from Stan and others as they provide examples / fixes. If considering using lightroom I reccommend buying the Scott Kirby boom (I think someone on the forum recommended it and it is excellent).
      I also have the bad habit of using a laptop (Mac) and sometimes need to adjust levels a little dependant on output (printer / Flickr etc) so advice on monitors above is a good one :-)
      Hope it helps
      Dave

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I;ll give it a bash. You're OK Foxie I'm a Solphie user :-)

Comment

another vote for Lightroom, but I would get the CC package as your only going to upgrade it when the next version comes along - I purchased it a few years ago and have upgraded most years, now I'm on CC ..

If you need any pointers getting started on LR check out Anthony Morganti on YouTube he's got about 60 videos on LR and is very good, its what got me started.. Watch the LR5 ones first as theres very little difference between LR5 & 6
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

You don't say whether you are shooting RAW or jpeg as that will make a difference to which software is going to be best for you.
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

I use PS and only use LR if I'm batch processing a load of images, but that's just personal preference, the latest versions of LR are more than capable of meeting most photographer's needs.
              I never edit images on my laptop, I find the screens are just too small for fine editing, so I would suggest a PC/monitor route, or purchasing an external monitor for your laptop.
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks again chaps.
                I'll check Youtube Ian.
                Stan I seem to be using Raw for everything and only the occasional Jpeg
                Les, I do have a decent monitor it's the computer that's not up to it. I'll try the laptop on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ASK3L View Post
                  Les, I do have a decent monitor it's the computer that's not up to it. I'll try the laptop on the screen.
                  check the running specs for LR as its pretty labour intensive and unless you have a decent processor you could see it running very slow
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

It all depends what you're trying to do.

Are you just after making your images just to look right and just want to get Sharpness /brightness a crop here and there and batch process 40/50 files at a time? then DPP is your best option.Though i am impressed with DXO Opticspro 10 and this will be my next software buy?

If your looking to manage all your files and folders and batch process 100s of images but also want the ability to do some more advanced processing then LR is the way to go, also bear in mind LR is the industry standard software so is really worth getting to know inside out.

Then there's Photoshop great for most things and easy to use, if you go for element versions it will do most of the adjustments for you or guide you through some of the processes needed.

As with all these software programs its worth getting to know them well to be able to get the best from them as otherwise they will be a waste of time and money.

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

If you continue using a laptop, angle the screen to 90 degrees to your eyes. We were advised this by a guest speaker to our Camera Club. Hold an empty toilet roll against the screen and look down it. If the centre is symmetrical then the screen is at the correct angle. Also, have the screen brightness set at about 2/3 of the brightness. I always used to have mine too bright.
                      Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
                      http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

I have PSE 14, and that works for me greate. You have three different levels of processing: Quick, with instructions and Expert.
                        And it works very fine on my HP laptop (i7 processor).
                        With kind regards,
                        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Also, have the screen brightness set at about 2/3 of the brightness. I always used to have mine too bright.
                          best way to sort that and ensure the colours are correct is to calibrate your screen regularly. I have a Colourmunki Smile £67 at Amazon

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                            lightroom and p/s involve paying out forever for the pleasure ,elements is a one off purchase
                            Jeff - I don't believe any software is a one-off purchase - having recently upgraded Mickysoft Office for the umpteenth time (and finally succumbed to their licensing model...). Anyway, who believes that they actually own the software once they have bought it? You only license it anyway!!!

I am a great fan of LR CC. I like that I also have PS when I want it, and I am gradually using it more and more. I also like that I get the updates quickly - who would have thought that the dehaze slider would be worth upgrading for - but I use it a lot. Still, I guess 90%+ of my editing is done in LR. Maybe I need to use more PS to get to the next level...

I have traditionally done most of my work on a laptop (currently a MacBook Air) but recently acquired an iMac. I didn't have to pay an extra penny for the software because my CC license allows me to use it in two places.

Starting out I found LR a bit confusing, but as Ian and others say, follow some of the videos and you are good to go. Adobe have a load of free ones on their website - brilliant!

Good luck in your decisions!
                            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I use photoshop elements and only in very small and basic doses as I am not an expert in PP. I do my best to get my images as right as possible in camera. I also do not have such a wide genre as other more expereinced members and so I am happy with what I am doing.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X