Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adobe price increase

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
    Are you really saying that you cannot afford the price of a pint of beer a week for the use of two very capable programs?
    How about it being less about not being able to afford and more about not wanting to pay?
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I gave up beer about 30 years ago when it became too expensive (true).
      but seriously I always look for best value in anything, if I can get everything I need for £38, why pay £120 a year? I've never used "industry standard" software for any purpose as there's always something much cheaper that does the job, perhaps without all the bells and whistles, but if ringing those bells and blowing those whistles is something you don't need to do, then why pay for them?
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I could understand it in a way, but quoting the drop in the pound, one wonders why when the pound was doing strong against the dollar we didn't get a price drop, and post Brexit if and when the pound recovers, will the price come back down........ One doubts it.

Another thing I would like to see is have your rent of the programmes working towards the cost of the software, so when you have paid the equivalent you get a " free " copy of the software and then a reduced monthly cost to cover the updates... Almost a higher purchase type of format..

Bugger is my renewal is due in April
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
          Are you really saying that you cannot afford the price of a pint of beer a week for the use of two very capable programs?
          Nothing to do with ability to pay ... everything to do with subscription model and totally avaricious price hike ... if they get the customer reaction wrong then I'm sure we'll see discount email specials arriving ...

Time to explore DPP and possibly PSE and perhaps even The GIMP ...

Comment

Agreed
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I got the email today as well and as mine has just been renewed, the price won't increase until next January.

Will I renew it then - of course I will, even at the increase it is a bargain, what other software gives you updates as soon as they happen rather than having to invest in a brand new version. Imagine if you needed to buy the original and then the update each year if you wanted the latest tools and compatibility with the latest cameras, it would cost a lot more than £120 a year.

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                I got the email today as well and as mine has just been renewed, the price won't increase until next January.

Will I renew it then - of course I will, even at the increase it is a bargain, what other software gives you updates as soon as they happen rather than having to invest in a brand new version. Imagine if you needed to buy the original and then the update each year if you wanted the latest tools and compatibility with the latest cameras, it would cost a lot more than £120 a year.

Stan
                I agree with Stan. For me LR and PS are both excellent programs which I use a lot. Yes the price hike is unwelcome but I still feel it's value for money. This is my opinion of course and if others feel the hike is too much then they can choose to not renew and explore other avenues.
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I am sticking with it! It was a steal, and is still good value. One day the government will sort out our future (or not) and currencies will stabilise and prices will be realigned, and pigs are flying past the window. But I am seriously sticking with it!!!
                  Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I have since discovered to my horror that my copy of LR5 will not read the files from LR CC I have over 250,000 pics I can not see or find without LR. The word sod it springs to mind. I can see no way around this. Of course the pics are there but how to sort them out. Maybe its time to find another hobby.

Comment

Why can't you see them Treff? When all is said and done they're just files on a disk? Or is it a compatibility issue?
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

From my perspective, I only use Lightroom so I'm paying for but not using Photoshop. On top of that, the new features that have been added to LR are a bit meh as far as I'm concerned and I don't need upgrades to camera imports because my 7D2 and Fuji X-E1 are both supported and I have no plans currently to buy new kit, or not any new kit that is new enough to not be supported.. On that basis, I'm actually going to be paying a lot more for LR than I could pay for a single retail licence which does all I want.

That balances the equation slightly differently.

Added to that, Adobe are seriously behind the curve when it comes to ways of working with images. I've been trialling Luminar from MacPhun and it's streets ahead of the Adobe products when it comes to what you can do with an image out of the box. It's not an LR replacement - they're adding DAM to it in a future release - but they're actively developing it and have a very user-centric approach to products, something I don't get the feeling Adobe have. Lightroom definitely seems to be stagnating.

So I'm seriously considering cancelling my Adobe subscription...

Comment

Well I have got PS & LR at home, sticking with it for now. I like PS but LR seems cumbersome to me, never got on with it for organising - ok for raw processing . But for my office I bought Affinity (photo and designer) - I really like affinity does some things as well as PS I would say it is much closer to full blown PS than say PS elements or even Gimp very easy to use and learn, somethings in different places to get used to but on the whole it is superb. the other great plus is that you don't need LR - all that raw functionality is built in - and I don't mean like ACR - it is more like the best bits of PS and LR combined well worth a try.

Great set of tutorials too
                          DEPRECATED THREAD The Photo tutorials listed below have been refreshed and moved. Please see this new thread or use the Affinity site Photo Desktop tutorials webpage In support of our fantastic photo editing app, please use this comprehensive and structured set of videos for accelerated learning!...

Ian
                          EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

I can see my pictures of course and the folders but with thousands of pictures taken over so many years I'm going to need other
                            software to sort it out. Even with new software that can these things there will still be a financial price and also a price in time and a lot of effort. I'm afraid I've reach that age when time is more important to me than sitting in front of the computer editing and reediting pics that no one is going to see except me. Time for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                              I can see my pictures of course and the folders but with thousands of pictures taken over so many years I'm going to need other
                              Yep, I see what you mean.

Comment

As I understand it Treff LR6 can read Cc catalogue. It's not easy to find but if you search Adobe' s website you can find an LR5\LR6 upgrade for about £60. Probably worth it for the hassle saved.
                                Russell
                                Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Working...
                                X