Photography Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography Show

I enjoyed going.....not for the bargains but it was good to pick the brains of the people at RPS and Zenfolio stands....prices looked good on some lenses until I realised that they were..'if bought with a camera body'....and cash back....and you pay today scenario.

I bought a 10-18mm STM from Calumet.....initially disappointed that their price was £199 whereas PCWorld/Currys have it for £191...after they checked the web they agreed to the lower price

These were the only obvious bargains to be had
    _MG_0339.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

Good to see some work exhibited
    _MG_0334.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

There were several interesting presentations
    _MG_0348.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

the usual third world lunch accommodation ..
    _MG_0372.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

the best bit for me was getting some advice about ARPS Distinction...which I want to do this year
    _MG_0375.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

gong back to film anyone
    _MG_0380.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

I might use this in a Health and Safety...what not to do presentation
    _MG_0332.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

Fuji put some models on....this chap is trying to impress ....but the lass clearly has eyes for me...
    _MG_0355.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Photography Show

Very nice set and really liking the BW series Brian

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Not very exciting, really. Epson's price list for their printers showed "Exhibition Discounts". This amounted to £5 off for one of them (more for others). I did a quick price comparison on my phone whilst at their stand and found all the sub-£1,000 printers cheaper elsewhere.

The not-really-funny-but-it-was moment for me was seeing a woman walk up to look through a giant lens on the ?Sony? stand and watch it crash 2 metres to the ground because it hadn't been attached proberly. That's a few grand up in tinkling glass...

Visited lots of stands, had some interesting chats, got a very small EOS Magazine badge at the stand and said "hi".

The "free" coffee in the pro lounge that you get with a token sent with your ticket (if you're a pro) is limited to before 11am (I don't believe that was always the case). Coming from South Wales, this was unrealistic. I went and got coffee elsewhere. (Incidentally the Heads Of The Valley Road was closed and my trip entailed a massive detour, sharing the A40 with a bicycle race.)

Anyway, had a good mooch, got some pictures but in the end bought nowt.

I then spent a couple of hours taking pictures of the Cosplayers nect door. That was fun!
        _22_5237.jpg

_22_5207.jpg

_22_5158.jpg
        Last edited by AndyL; 20-03-2017, 08:25.
        See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Went yesterday myself. Attended the Frans Lanting talk which was good but enjoyed Andy Rouse's talk on the Canon stand the most. He was on top form as usual & had some great aviation images as well as wildlife & some video of tigers in India too.

Was looking for a lightweight travel tripod & looked at the manfrotto befree carbon which had £100 off at the show but settled for a Sirui model instead which seemed more stable despite being lighter.

Tried without success to find a shoulder bag/messenger bag to hold 6D + 24-70 etc WITH tripod straps to carry tripod too but only found one, a Crumpler Kingpin but a bit too large for my requirements.

LCE & Calumet had the new EF24-105 MKII for £989 - was tempted but didn't pull the trigger; still thinking about that one. One of them (can't recall which had £650 off the 5D MKIV too...

Keep wondering about mirrorless & has a look at the Fuji stand at the XT2 & XT20 (saw Kai Wong filming there!) and also checked out the EOS M5 on the Canon stand. Decided for me at least, I still prefer an OVF to EVF and when i want to go small/light I prefer the EOS 100D (SL1).
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
            Very nice set and really liking the BW series Brian

Tom
            yep agree
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
              Keep wondering about mirrorless & has a look at the Fuji stand at the XT2 & XT20 (saw Kai Wong filming there!) and also checked out the EOS M5 on the Canon stand. Decided for me at least, I still prefer an OVF to EVF and when i want to go small/light I prefer the EOS 100D (SL1).
              If you go with the Fuji X-Pro 1 or 2 you get both a good EVF and an excellent OVF with overlaid exposure and focus information. I wonder if Canon have something like that in the works for the M line.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Having used an XPro1 for some time I can say that the OVF can be frustrating...its not through the lens its to the side as per rangefinder style...so you rely on a white box frame which adjusts when you have focussed....so getting your framing right is a challenge.
                Personally I found it frustrating..and the EVF was not great but much better on the newer XPro2.
                The XPro for me was fine with say a 27mm or 35mm lens....but for longer focal lengths or zooms it was not good.
                The idea was attractive....and I wanted to make use of the OVF but for me it was not a great experience
                There is a good reason why the most capable cameras are the way they are....why turn the clock back to a bygone age.
                Just my viewpoint.....hence I came back to DSLRs currently 5D3 and 100D.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Think I'm with you on this Brian. To me the XT20 was just a little too small whereas the 100D is very manageable with no real compromises & fine with the 17-40 as a 'standard' zoom...
                  Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I had an XT-1 and XPro1 at one point....the XT-1 was too small for me...and the mode switch kept getting knocked out of place. The XPro1/2s big advantage over the XT-1 is the button layout and room for your hands.
                    I'm loving the 100D...especially now I have focal lengths from 10-250 (16-400) covered and the 24STM (38mm f2.8 equivalent) as a compact walkabout rig.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

And there's a replacement due later this year too according to Canon Rumors who are generally pretty reliable.
                      Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

I'll not get that past my financial controller....I only got my 100D a few weeks ago!
                        Pleased they are going to keep that line going though.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                        X