Web Site ...and the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Site ...and the future

I am a fan of the website. When you look at the amount of help and advice is provided via the site, you can see the benefit it provides to members. My observation is that when I was a member a few years back before I moved to Wales and reinvented myself, the site was more dynamic. If someone posted new pictures, comments came thick and fast. As others have mentioned this doesn't happen. I am guilty in this respect as I have sort of followed the trend as no one seemed to comment on work that was submitted. I shall endeavour to rectify this situation by making a conscious effort to look at new posts and make comments if only to say well done. Perhaps others might do the same, after all it is all about the images in the end analysis.
    Yours guiltily Alan
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 05-06-2018, 20:59.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I lurk guiltily in the background. I pop in occasionally to leave a comment like this... I have always loved the friendliness on the forum - with the exception of one or two extremely opinionated, self-appointed individuals, the comments are always positive and supportive. I have had "family" issues for a few years, and as some of you my work has veered off the straight and narrow, which is the preference here, to the more crafted work I create today. But even that has taken a back seat recently.

Anyway, I shall remain a member, will continue to pop in, and hopefully will start posting again when everything finally settles down and the dust has cleared!

Ciao for now!

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I have nothing really to add, but I suppose that is one of the fundamental issues here being discussed - if I don't add something it could be perceived that I have no interest and that people aren't contributing. So I'll just say that I too had noticed a reduction in the numbers of postings (well, apart perhaps from the Birds section), but I consider this just part of the normal ebb and flow of such forums. All forums require a few key regular, posters to keep things moving and to stimulate discussion and debate. The rest of the membership is generally made up of people (like me) who only pop in when they get a chance and don't always leave their mark when they do. We have perhaps lost a couple of the former recently, but others will step up, emerge or turn up so I wouldn't stress about it or change anything.
        To me, the forum still offers the same value it has done since I joined, and as described by many people in the posts above me, so lets just keep it ticking along to our mutual benefit and enjoyment and just enjoy our individual journeys.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Having watched this thread for a while without commenting I hadn’t commented, really I had/have no suggestions on what if any changes the forum needs. I find that sometimes life gets in the way of both making images and posting/commenting on the forum.

I don’t have any alerts sent from this or any other forum to my devices so I’m not prompted to log in to check out responses to my threads or new comments on other member posts that I’ve contributed to.

However I do still drop in and comment usually when a thread title suggests something different/out of the ordinary that attracts me. On occasions if a question is being asked that I think I can help with I do try and add my thoughts on the issue raised.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments.....I think in conclusion we are all generally happy, the forum remains of interest and a source of support for newcomers and experienced photographers alike. We all accept that members will come and go and that the participation will wax and wain. There is a fairly common experience of posts not receiving attention from time to time and that some may be missed as they soon slip down the lists of new posts.
            In addition to the great strength in terms of the knowledge base of members it generally seems that the forum members are entirely respectful of each others opinions and work with no trolling or anti-social behaviour...we can be very proud of that in the context of many forums having been abused - I note the Royal Photographic Society took action to close its forum earlier in the year because of bad behaviour of some member contributors.
            In conclusion there is no consensus that any changes are needed here....but perhaps some potential improvements.
            Is that a fair analysis? Please agree / disagree at will......
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have been a member here for some six years, but now rarely post here, unless I have something constructive to add. I do however read regularly from the forum, with my main interest being in technical content, and equipment discussion, to which I will comment, as and when I have something of value to add.

I now don't bother posting or viewing images, as they can be a bit repetitious, especially the bird ones, and in any case, I get to see, and post lots of images on the localised (Suffolk, Norfolk, and Essex) amateur photography group/forum that I have been running for around 18 months now.

In the six years that I have been a member here, I can't say that I have seen any need for change. Compared to other forums that I have experienced, this is one of the most civilised, friendly, and helpful.

Like my own relatively small group, the contributing members here need no moderating, whereas some of the forums I have experienced, can be a real 'bear pit' .

So, I say carry on as you are here, it works, and it has a nice atmosphere.
              Last edited by Dave_S; 10-06-2018, 09:13.
              Dave

Comment

Another point is most people who join here are first timers or not great 'social media' types, they ask for help and advice and 99.9% of the time they go away happy, go out again and improve - they inherently build in confidence and join other mainstream forums etc etc BUT a few still come back to the good honest forum they started on.

When I joined I was very apprehensive about posting but as I said above, a few gave me pointers and support that helped me considerably - ColinC being one of my biggest inspirations / help.

I think the forum works extremely well and the lack of trolls and idiots is testament to that. As for Mr Scott . . . . Bravo sire, bravo!!
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

As for Mr Scott . . . . Bravo sire, bravo!!
                  I second that thought David.

I have long suspected that a lot of Troll fighting goes on in the background that we never hear about.
                  Colin

Comment

A few times in this particular discussion,the point is made about more experienced members being able to give helpful advice to newcomers like myself.I have been helped greatly by this,and hope to receive more advice as and when it's needed.
                    Therefore,how can something like this https://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/s...033#post430033 be of use to newcomers like me?By answering the question in a pm,instead of openly posting it,when the problem happens to me again,I'd have to ask members,instead of just being able to read the solution for myself.

It's not my intention to ruffle feathers with this.

Roy

Comment

Roy...I was intrigued to know what advice was offered here...I've not seen that happen before for a question like that.

I agree regarding Robert's sterling efforts here and immeasurable encyclopaedic knowledge.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I thought it was odd,Brian, to answer via a pm and not openly so that anyone could benefit from the advice on that subject.

Roy

Comment

I agree with BrianVickers, it would (at least for me) be a disaster to lose this valuable source of information by over-promoting it and bringing in the wrong type of people. On the other hand, we as a forum have to evolve of face extinction. It's a fine line.
                          Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

I can't see what the issue is on this. A member sent a private message to another member, I've on many occasions sent PM's and received many on this site. If its such a crime, why is the facility available on the Forum for PM's.
                            Are we saying that no advice must be given in a PM, it must be aired on the open Forum.
                            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I think PMs should be used where appropriate but where the content is useful to others then why not keep it public so everyone can benefit....unless its something personal...like exchanging funds for a purchase...or maybe some otherwise potentially embarrassing issue.
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I think you started an interesting discussion Brian. For my part I try to visit the forum regularly and leave comments if appropriate, but not daily. From my own perspective I feel my photography has improved by being a member of the forum from both helpful suggestions from my own posts but also seeing other members contributions both images and comments.

As far as keeping it fresh, a review of the topic headings might be worthwhile occasionally so current trends are reflecting. The introduction of 'Architecture & Buildings' being an example. Maybe it time to get 'Street Photography' up there so people become aware of what is possible. Certainly that is one area I haven't seriously taken up but seeing your and other members images helps you to 'see' an image when you out and about.

At the end of day the forum is the posts and the fact that outstanding nature photographs dominate at times is a reflection on who is participating. Doesn't stop me posting landscapes if I feel something I have taken is worth sharing!
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X