Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shooting in RAW?

Originally posted by dougie66 View Post
    I shoot in RAW all the time. I get more control over my image and I don't lose any data from it as you do with a JPEG every time you open or try to change it.
    No data is lost when you open and close a JPEG file - only when changes are made to the file.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by dougie66 View Post
      I shoot in RAW all the time. I get more control over my image and I don't lose any data from it as you do with a JPEG every time you open or try to change it.
      No data is lost when you open and close a JPEG file - only when changes are made to the file.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I knew that didn't look right after I submitted that!!!
        Dougie

Canon eos-7d, eos-350d. 18-135mm EFS f/4, Canon 50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-300mm f/5.6 USM, Tamron 90mm f/1.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4, Sigma 150-500mm f/5.6 DG OS HSM, Speedlite 430 EXll.

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
          As a DSLR novice I'm having enough trouble getting to grips with all a 50D can do Digital correction is for another day so I stick to JPEG.
          It will take months to understand the camera unless used daily/weekly. Digital correction, well next year maybe
          You are quite right Longshot. I now take images in both RAW and Jpeg but have still not got to grips with RAW. It is the time factor for me.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
            I now take images in both RAW and Jpeg but have still not got to grips with RAW. It is the time factor for me.
            It needn't be a time problem Nathaniel.

You shoot in sequences. The same, or similar subjects, at the same time, in the same lighting conditions. So when it comes to RAW processing, spend a couple of minutes getting the first one in the sequence as good as you can get it. Then copy the RAW recipe and paste it to the others in the sequence. In 10 minutes or so, you have the whole card done. When you get used to it, the first of the sequence process takes only seconds - you just get used to what works for you and your camera and what your preferences are.

This tip is free and ignores the fact that it was nearly a year of using RAW before I came across that. Yes ............. I did individually process RAW shots for a long time! Hangs head in shame - now it's a pleasure and not a chore.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

This is why I find it useful to save copies (my primary copy and it's backup are never worked on ... even though you can unwind things you do to RAW files) in what I call 'Working Set' (that's the folders name) within which there are many sub-folders (organised by shooting sequence). Keeping the number of files sensible makes DPP run better as well. It also lends itself to the recipe process ColinC describes. All outputs from these are stored in a very similar structure ... but with 'processed' in the folder name. Sorry if it all sounds very anal ... but it works for me ...

We have each developed our own workflow that a) we a comfortable with and b) works for us. I pick up the odd tip here and there ... this forum being one of the best sources along with Canon's own DLC and CPN. I will give most tips a try ... if they work fine ... if they don't fine. But I never loose sight that some folk just want to take their card to Boots and have prints made. We all are different.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                It needn't be a time problem Nathaniel.

You shoot in sequences. The same, or similar subjects, at the same time, in the same lighting conditions.
                I'd add "with the same exposure" to that list Colin. Unless the shots are the same you can't sync the files in the same way. So that is where shooting in Manual really benefits the photographer. Consistency is king.

I too used to edit each image. Now I can do a whole wedding in just a few short hours instead of a couple of days!
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
                X